All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

what is a septoplasty?

i have a slight deviated septum, but my breathing is fine or at least i think it is. however dr stated septo part would be using my own cartilage to form the tip of my nose, and fixing my septum if it needs, will know more once im opened up.. should i be concerned? i do not want me breathing to be affected as im breathing fine. diagnose is cartilage repair with rhino.

any feed back would be welcomed..
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
Septoplasty can be used to harvest cartilage for a cartilage graft to be used in a rhinoplasty and vice versa. It sounds like there will be a septal cartilage graft harvested from your septum as part of your rhinoplasty (nose job). This is a common and effective method to help reconstruct and build up the nose and refine the nasal tip. Removing septal cartilage can help with nasal airflow and is on a continuum of a septoplasty. If an adequate amount of septal cartilage is left, referred to as an "L" strut the nasal airway should be preserved.
2 UpVoted this answer Gurmander S. Kohli, MD, FACS Plastic Surgeon, Newburyport
A septoplasty is a method of harvesting cartilage from the nose and this Cartlidge is the optimal cartilage to reconstruct the nasal tip. Other sources of cartilage which require another incision on another body part include your cartilage harvest and rib cartilage harvest. The vast majority of rhinoplasty surgeons
1 UpVoted this answer Gurmander S. Kohli, MD, FACS Plastic Surgeon, Newburyport
I do not think you need to be concerned about your breathing being affected by conservative harvesting of septal cartilage for work on the tip of your nose. This is almost a standard procedure in cosmetic rhinoplasty because it is such a useful tool for the surgeon.

A problem may arise with your insurance carrier if you intend to file for benefits. It does not appear that you have medical indications for a septoplasty and the cartilage repair will be confined to the tip of your nose; judging from the way the surgeon has scheduled your operation.
Louis Mes
When available, septal cartilage is the ideal donor cartilage for both cosmetic and reconstructive rhinoplasty....this is because septal cartilage is generally in plentiful supply; is in the same surgical field as the rhinoplasty; is rigid and mostly straight; and has no breathing or functional consequence when harvested properly.....hence, the removal of septal cartilage for purposes of grafting nasal structures should have no bearing on your already satisfactory breathing
85% of the population has some deviation of the septum but that does not automatically mean that 85% of population needs septoplasty. Septoplasty puts the septum back into the midline, or straightens the curvature of the septum to allow air to move freely for respiration. If your breathing is good, you don't need septoplasty.

Septal cartilage is often removed to perform cosmetic changes of the nose--called rhinoplasty.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD
Robert D. Wilcox
If your breathing is normal then no surgery on the septum is indicated for breathing problems. The septum is the best place to harvest cartilage grafts for columellar struts and various tip grafts when needed. A small portion of cartilaginous septum is harvested, leaving the lining intact, the grafts are cut out of a pattern on the piece or removed septal cartilage, and any excess is put back. This should not interfere with breathing. The risks of taking septal cartilage include septal perforation, which means the site of harvest of the cartilage becomes a through and through opening in the septum, without intervening cartilage. This hole can be corrected if it is symptomatic, e.g., causing crusting or a whistling sound. Another risk is removing excess septal cartilage so that the dorsum of the nose loses support. Both of these complications are uncommon.

Granted that you have a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon operating on you, I would not be overly concerned about getting a complication from harvesting septal cartilage.

Other potential causes of breathing difficulties after cosmetic rhinoplasty are collapse of the internal nasal valve which can occur when the dorsum is reduced and the upper lateral cartilages fall in. This can be prevented with septal cartilage spreader grafts, turnover upper lateral grafts and/or by suturing the upper lateral cartilage back to the septum. External nasal valve collapse (the nostrils) can be caused by excessive reduction of the alar (nostril) cartilages during tip shaping, and failure to compensate for loss of tip support or alar rim support with either suture support or graft support to the alar cartilages or columella.

This technical answer is presented to demonstrate that rhinoplasty/septoplasty is a technically intricate operation, but that the problems than can occur are known and preventable, and that preventing and treating them are a part of the repertoire of rhinoplasty surgeons doing these operations today.
The septum is the cartilage wall that separates your nostril breathing passages. If it is crooked it is considered deviated. This can cause breathing problems. Most people have a little irregularity in the septum but it doesn't cause any breathing problems. The septum is frequently used to help reshape the nose. Using the septum should not cause any breathing problems. Good luck.
Ronald H. Schuster
A septoplasty can be performed to improve your airway or to harvest cartilage that can be used elsewhere such as in the tip of your nose. Cartilage is a common grafting material for the nose and you have some readily available in your septum. The septal cartilage can be removed while preserving the integrity of the airways which makes it an ideal donor site for cartilage. If you have questions about your procedure and why something is being done I would encourage you to discuss them further with your surgeon so you know exactly what he or she is planning to do and why they are planning to do it.
The septum is the wall if bone and cartilage that divides the two sides of the nose. If the septum is crooked, or deviated, it can cause breathing problems. It is also a good source of cartilage grafts in certain complicated rhinoplasty cases. I would need to know more about your particular case to determine if a cartilage graft is necessary.
Ronald Edelson
Septoplasty is a corrective surgical procedure done to straighten the nasal septum, the partition between the two nasal cavities.[1] Ideally, the septum should run down the center of the nose. When it deviates into one of the cavities, it narrows that cavity and impedes airflow. Often the inferior turbinate on the opposite side enlarges, which is termed compensatory hypertrophy
Mario Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda