All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Inlay vs Composite

Dentist said i can either get an inlay on tooth #4, and 5 or composite.

composite can be converted into an inlay or crown down the road.

What do you recommend..?

also emax or ziconria inlay.

if its a composite.. the lightest color is a bo he said.

is lighter always better?
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer
If you choose to do an Inlay on tooth #4, I would recommend doing emax because the bonding characteristics of that material is superior.

For tooth #5, your dentist recommended a composite filling most likely because the defect and decay is not that large. A conservative sized composite will last a long time, when done properly, and as for the color, I would say whatever matches your natural tooth structure best is recommended.
3 UpVoted this answer
It is a matter of personal preference. If the defect is small a composit will suffice for many years. I prefer Emax over Zirconia because I can control the Emax construction in my own office and can bond the Emax. Emax has better esthetic qualities than Zirconia in most mouths.
2 UpVoted this answer
Composite resin restoration can be bonded now in very small irregular shaped fillings. As such they have the potential to be more conservative to healthy tooth structure. The down side is that the composite resin restorations are softer than teeth and bonded rather than cemented to the tooth like an inlay would be. Inlays and onlays can require more tooth structure to be removed but they last longer because they are harder and and a cemented rather than bonded.
2 UpVoted this answer
The fact you were given a choice of materials suggests the filling is on the small side. Any time the final restoration is going to be less than half the width of the tooth, a well done composite is indicated (assuming the surrounding tooth structure is uncompromised). If the restoration is going to be more than half the width of the tooth, or if the remaining tooth is less than healthy, then a ceramic restoration is the more conservative long term solution. You want to pick the most conservative, tooth-saving restoration and this means which one is going to last the longest and require the least amount of trauma to your tooth.
The choice of restoration will depend on the size of the cavity,type of occlusion,aesthetics,durability of material,long term success ,financial considerations.Composites are cheaper and not as abrasive to opposing teeth,require less tooth reduction but do not have the strength or color stability of porcelain.As a long term restoration E-max would be preferred to zirconia unless there are bite issues including bruxism;in whiich case zirconia would be a better choice.Natural and not the light colour is better And .B0 is not the lightest shade
Vinay Jerath
Depending on the size of the restoration both an inlay and a composite will work. The larger the restoration the more the indication is for a porcelain inlay/onlay. In my opinion, E-max, or some of the other millable porcelain materials are preferred to zirconia since they are kinder to the opposing dentition. A small composite restoration will serve you well for many years and it is conservative. But if your dentist recommends a porcelain inlay due to the larger size of cavity, I would seriously consider the latter.
Depending on the size of the filling, and your bite, dental composite vs inlays is determined. If the filling is too large, then definitely an inlay would serve better purpose.

Emax or Zerconia inlays can be traumatic to your opposing teeth, even porcelain is stronger than your tooth enamel, and can cause wear, the emax, or zerconia inlays, are even stronger than porcelain, you can also get a composite inlays, which they are very strong, and cause less tooth wear to the opposing teeth.

Now regarding the color, the B0 is not the lightest whitest colors, there are many whiter colors such as OM1 or bl1, but it is best to match your natural tooth .

I believe the link below can help you, and give you more insight regarding inlays, and if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to call my office, at 310-550-0383

http://www.best.celebritydentist.com/porcelain-inlays-onlays/
From what you are saying, it sounds like the size of the cavity is not so large that you need a crown. You were given the option of an inlay or a composite filling. Without an X-ray and a photograph of the tooth, it's difficult to give an option. The advantages of an inlay over a composite are not all that great in my opinion. If you were considering an onlay versus a composite, I would recommend and onlay because it protects the tooth much more than the composite and it must mean the cavity is quite large.

As for material, I personally prefer Emax for onlays and most crowns. It looks better and bonds better than Zirconia. When it comes to composite color, lighter is not always better. Composites come in different colors and opacity. Your dentist will make that decision based on what the internal color of your tooth is after decay removal and what the best match for the outside color of your tooth is.

Best of luck with your decision.
Depending on the size of the needed restoration, you could do a composite, an inlay, or an onlay. I would prefer an onlay over an inlay, as the cusps are capped and would give more protection to the tooth. Without seeing photos or x-rays of the tooth it is hard to say what is best. The restorative material should match the tooth, not go with the lightest shade. May times going with the lightest shade will let internal discolorations, such as amalgam tattoos, show through or make the tooth look fake. For inlays or onlays, bonded e.Max will give a better esthetic result than zirconia. You should consult with your dentist to select the proper material and proper shade.
Louis B. Sachs
Dear Patient,

if the cavity isn't too large, composite resin is the way to go! It's less expensive than crown or inlays and more conservative because less tooth reduction required, less suited for large cavity, may have a shorter life expectancy than porseline inlay.

Composite filling can be convertedinto an inlay or crown later.

For endo treated or broken teeth crowns is the best option. Emax crowns very esthetic but extra stress can fracture porceline. Zirconia much stronger.

Lighter color it's not always the best, go with your natural!