All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

should i crown tooth #19? or wait till it breaks down more? it was reccomended 2yrs ago, and still good, little chip on top of tooth, margin.

#19 - lower left back - very large silver filling, breaking down

should i put this in the wait and see approach, or just get it done now, i have insurance.
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Pratik Shah, DDS Dentist, Riverside David J. Darab, DDS, MS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Hickory
I am usually conservative....When my patients have existing large restorations that are composite or amalgam, I tell them that down the line the tooth may need to be crowned. If the tooth is currently breaking down, I would recommend a crown as soon as possible. Sometimes waiting can result in a fractured tooth or more destruction that is harder to correct.
2 UpVoted this answer Pratik Shah, DDS Dentist, Riverside David J. Darab, DDS, MS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Hickory
Get it restored/fixed ASAP!!! It'll break below the gum line and need to be extracted if you're unlucky! Now you can get a simple crown on your schedule without being in pain or needing an implant. Do it ASAP!!!
Robert W. Frankel
1 UpVoted this answer
Since you do have a very large mercury filling, and it is chipped, I advise you to see your dentist for possible inlay onlay vs crown, which is less tooth structure removal, however if your good dentist can not do the tooth onlay procedure, then crown your tooth, before further damage such as root crack or tooth fracture with nerve damage occurs.
1 UpVoted this answer Pratik Shah, DDS Dentist, Riverside
Would need to actually examine you to give definitive answer. That said, sounds like you're playing Russian Roulette. Your Dentist, who knows your circumstances best, has recommended a crown. 'Nuf said.
Arnold J. Malerman
I would recommend the same thing your dentist did. You need a core build up and crown. Problem with waiting a lot of times is that your tooth will fail on you in the most inopportune moment and you then will be unha]y that you waited. Having dental insurance is also a plus. Usually you have a yearly max and you loose the benefit if it's not used. Get it done and then you wouldn't have to worry.
Seems like you should especially if your dentist recommends it.
Your dentist is the best source for answers since he is able to see the integrity of the tooth structure. If the tooth cannot withstand the force of occlusion, it may fracture and can result in removal instead of a crown. If in doubt, get a second opinion.
Kirk K. Yen
It is not a good idea to wait for a tooth to breakdown more. This can lead to pain and more expense.
Constantin Fiacos
Dentists should not recommend that you do crowns because you have insurance. Crowns are completed because there is a large amount of damage or filling to a tooth (see some of my other answers to your previous questions.) Waiting is a recipe for disaster. Do the filling or crown instead of leaving it alone, again as mentioned previously. Good luck.
I would say that there really aren't any good reasons to not go ahead and do the crown now especially since you have insurance. If you "wait and see" it could change for the worse and even fracture into the pulp chamber making a root canal necessary , so all things considered my recommendation would be to go ahead and crown #19 and be done with it for the future.