All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Hurting legs at night

For the past two months I have been unable to sleep well because of leg pain, cramps, just plain bone, muscle pain. I toss and turn all night but manage to get to a deep sleep about 2 hours before alarm goes off.I started taking Iron a week ago , one daily and I take 5 mg meletonin every night. Some nights are unbearable I can't stay in bed because of the pain. My insurance not any good currently because Hospital and most Dr's will not accept this plan . I am at my wits end. I am tired enough
Poster
  • Female | 58 years old
  • Complaint duration: 60 days
  • Medications: Lisiptinol(blood pressure)
  • Conditions: no

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
I have a question for you. Is it the bones on the front of your legs, particularly the left one that is causing you more grief? If it is, then you are definitely low in Vitamin D3 and need to supplement immediately. Taking 5mg of melatonin at night is not going to help you sleep. You need to take the Melatonin throughout the day and then, take the evening dose about an hour before bed. You also need to find out what your current Vit D levels are and if you even need iron. Check the inside lower eyelid (by the beginning of the lower lash). If it is pale, then you are low in iron. If it is a nice pink/red, then you are not. You can go online to LabCorp or any other lab that takes bloodwork and pay for a Vitamin D test yourself. If you can afford a Potassium test, that might be wise as well. You do not have to go to the doctor to do this yourself. Your Vitamin D results want to be above 50. If your levels turn out fine, then I suggest you get to your cardiologist for a full exam. Do the cheap stuff first and then, if you want to write back in and let us know the levels, we can certainly help you there.
1 UpVoted this answer
There are many possibilities for your symptoms. It could be related to medicatios and side effects. You could be developing a chronic pain or muscle problem. This could be restless leg pain related to venous insuffiency. You need to see a doctor to resolve these issues.
1 UpVoted this answer Geraldine McNamara, Naturopath-ND, BioMedical Researcher, HHP, Herbologist, C.hT, CNHC Naturopathic Practitioner, Daytona Beach
Hi there,

This sounds very frustrating!

If you haven't had your Vitamin D levels checked, that would definitely be indicated. All of your symptoms are potentially associated with low Vitamin D levels, which is an extremely common problem these days. It is a good place to start.
Kalen Garr
How is your circulation? This could be an issue with the veins in your legs not draining fluid properly during the day - it is called venous insufficiency. Until you go to the doctor, you can try 15-20 mmHg compression stockings, available in most pharmacies and all medical supply stores, during the day. If they help, you know it's coming from the veins. Read more about chronic venous insufficiency here: http://www.miamibeachvein.com/vein-disease/miami-chronic-venous-insufficiency/
You could definitely have restless leg syndrome and taking iron could certainly help that. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/rls/signs.html

You could try these solutions: http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/restless-leg-syndrome-treatments#promoSlide

But, if I were you I would try adding yoga and walking to your daily activity and incorporating more whole natural foods to your diet to shed some of the extra weight. You're blood pressure will improve and so will your leg pain.
My legs don't just cramp, they hurt, bone hurt like my legs and hips are in a viseThe hurt is much , much worse than cramps. And during the day my legs feel so heavy. I do not smoke or drink(except a glass of wine rarely). I am overweight and have been for years. I am a business owner(floral designer). Thank you for your ideas and expertise. I will try many of your ideas
Poster
My legs don't cramp, they hurt, bone hurt like my legs and hips are in a vise. . And during the day my legs feel so heavy. I do not smoke or drink(except a glass of wine rarely). I am overweight and have been for years. I am a business owner(floral designer). Thank you for your ideas and expertise. I will try many of your ideas
Poster
Have your Physician check your ALP, and ask for a protein electrophoresis (to rule out couple boulders.) In the mean time I'd recommend:

- Adherence to a DASH diet, drink water (8 8-oz glasses)

- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol (if relevant)

- Weight loss if applicable (Tai-chi or/and swimming five days a week)

- Multivitamins and minerals mainly Selenium, zinc, Magnesium; Vitamins A, C, E, all B's; and folic acid.

- Herbal supplements (Hawthorne, garlic)
John Kouame
That is a big basket with many, many possibilities such as : dehydration, booze, to much coffee, calcium, magnesium deficit, vit D deficit being the simplest immediate causes need tho be eliminated. If still no answer, you need to be seen by a practitioner. Circulatory artery and venous issues have to be excluded. If nothing is found, a neuropathy has to be excluded: hope you do not come in contact with heavy metals as they can induce complains of the kind you have. Next comes metabolic neuropathy. i.e. systemic conditions with nerve involvement: diabetes, uremia (kidney failure) thyroid problems, liver failure, porphyria etc.etc. So, i do not know if you could avoid going to a physician. Good luck to you!!!
I agree with all the contributors. It is also very common for restless legs to be due to venous insufficiency. Risk factors include having multiple pregnancies, female gender, sedentary lifestyle, and any profession which requires you to sit or stand all day. Try wearing compression stockings during the day and walking/exercise as well. This should help you rest at night. Good luck!