All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

carpal tunnel treatment

Do you have a good regimen to help prevent carpal tunnel in my right wrist?
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: none

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
You can perform stretching exercises and sufficient rest breaks especially if you're doing work that involves using your hands and wrists for prolonged periods of time or activities involving repetitive movement of the hands and wrist.

You can also try to stabilize your wrist by using a supportive hand and wrist splint while you work. Also make sure that you are in the proper position and posture with whatever you are doing as much as possible, including maintaining the neutral position of the wrist when you can, avoiding extreme positioning unless absolutely necessary.

You can also make use of the now easily available ergonomic designs for that tools that you use at home and at work to help preserve the integrity of your bodily structures (eg. a mouse pad with a gel cushion to support the wrist when using the computer).

Rotate chores and tasks often so that the recovery and regeneration of the involved body parts, in this case your hands and wrist, can be maximized, slowing down wear and tear and preventing micro-injuries and the possible minor inflammation stemming from overuse.

For some vulnerable people, even a very slight swelling in the wrist area can already produce symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. If you are one who is predisposed to this condition, becoming aware of what what brings this about will be the single foremost important method of prevention.

Water-retention, immune response during times of stress and illness, diabetes, obesity, genetics (eg. size of the tunnel, thickness and thickening of the fascial structures, nerve tissue sensitivity, inflammatory response, etc.), hypothyroidism, pregnancy, environmental factors, among others, have been implicated as possibly causing or contributing to carpal tunnel syndrome. Sleep positions where the hands are flexed over long periods of time have also been implicated to cause or worsen symptoms.

Some of my patients with carpal tunnel syndrome feel that the application of gentle heat on the area (such as when applying warm water bottles or wearing comfortable gloves) offers some relief when symptoms occur, thus preventing disruption of chores, tasks, and duties that need to be accomplished.

From my experience and knowledge, maintainance of healthy habits and lifestyles have been very helpful in preventing symptoms for those who have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. Try to have balanced nutrition, do appropriate aerobic, flexibility and strengthening excercises regularly, maintain a healthy weight, maintain a strong immune system, have adequate sleep, rest periods, recreation and stress management. From my perspective and direct experience, the above recommendations are very useful in managing many conditions, including the management of symptoms in carpal tunnel syndrome.

It is important to always check with your doctor or other qualified health care provider if you constantly exprience symptoms. Early diagnosis and treatment is important in this case, to avoid permanent damage to the median nerve, which is the nerve that is compressed in carpal tunnel syndrome. Some may even need surgery to correct the problem. Let us hope that you don't have to go through surgery. As a physical therapist and a holistic healer, I always prefer the conservative approach rather than the aggresive approach if it can be helped.

I'm reminded of the Cliché "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." This is indeed quite relevant based on my own experiences with myself, my patients, and many other people I know. It's refreshing to see a question here asking about prevention instead of just a cure.

-------------------------

If you have resonated with the information I have provided above and would like to ask further relevant and related questions, kindly contact me using the information that DoctorBase has provided here on this site, or you may use my contact form at my website, The Infinite Mother Holistic and Intuitive Healing Arts Center, found at this link infinitemotherhealing.com/contact.php

Stay informed. Be well. Live life to the fullest.
1 UpVoted this answer
First you need to make sure you have true carpal tunnel syndrome. Most people believe they have CTS, but actually have what is called pronator teres syndrome. This is a miscle that traps the nerve in the forearm. If you know you have true CTS, increase your vit B 5 and B12 intake, stretch the wrist and fingers into extension (arm straight and gently pull fingertips towards the bak of your arm) as well as controlling the inflammation within the carpal tunnel. Controlling the inflammation can be done by using ice and/or NSAID's. I would recommend seeing a chiropractor for your symptoms as well.
Anthony M Odell
Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of the median nerve as it passes the wrist and goes into the hand. People who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome will experience pain, numbness and/or a falling asleep sensation in the thumb, index finger and middle finger. Some people will also experience symptoms into the half of the ring finger that is closest to the middle finger.

Positioning the wrist in a flexed position, as is bending your hand towards the underside of your forearm, closes down on the space available in the tunnel, leading to increased likelihood of compressing the nerve. (Conversely, bending the wrist backwards can open up that space.)

The first thing I would suggest you do is to make note if there are particular activities that reproduce your symptoms. If so, see if modifying the posture of your wrist helps to alleviate those symptoms.

Generally speaking, good posture and ergonomics, particularly for activities that involve repetitive motions, can help.
M. Hassan
Yes we do. There are some stretching exercises that we send our carpal tunnel patients home with and there are also some supplements like B-complex, omega 3 fatty acids, digestive enzymes, astaxanthin and curcumin that are helpful. But the real key is getting the pressure off the nerve and if you aren't ready to have your wrists slit yet, you may get better results at a chiropractor. There are many points of irritation along the course of the nerve and the connective tissues that may be contributing to your right wrist pain. Chiropractic care focuses on tracing the course of that nerve and reducing the stress, without needles or surgery on all those points of irritation. Just makes better sense to have a more thorough protocol for wrist pain.
Many causes for such a problem. please seek a chiropractor's care or go to your doctor for an evaluation.

After you use a heating pad for 20 minutes you can stretch the muscles in the forearm.
Thomas Kollars
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is caused by entrapment of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel. The latter being a tunnel formed by ligaments and bones in the wrist. There are many causes of carpal tunnel syndrome but all of them fall into one of two categories: something that compromises the canal itself (as a fracture or dislocation) or something that negatively effects the contents of the canal (as diabetes and thyroid disease damage the nerve -- rendering more vulnerable to injury or pregnancy causes the nerve to swell). The leading cause of CTS is nonspecific flexor tenosynovitis. Sounds like some pretty fancy words, right? Simply stated: the tendons get overloaded (often from our work) and as they become inflamed and swollen (within the confined space of the tunnel) -- they, in turn, irritate the median nerve.

To help prevent CTS: Stretch each finger by pulling back on it and holding for ten seconds twice a day. Also perform range of motion exercises for your wrist and forearm. Consider wearing night splints to prevent kinking of the tendons or nerve at night.
Are you already having symptoms? What is causing your discomfort? Just concerned or are there real issues? Usually by the time symptoms occur there is some chronic problem already in place. Carpal tunnel conditions start as a failure of the kinetic chain from the shoulder and moving down to the wrist and hand. I can send you some wrist and arm stretches if you contact me. If it is more than a preventive issue then you should contact an ortho doc for assessment.
Mary McHugh
Carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms can arise from nerves being pinched in the wrist, elbow, shoulder or neck.

Proper alignment of these areas should be regularly assessed by a chiropractor, along with special exercises and of course a proper work station,
Jacqueline Whalen
The first thing I would recommend is evaluating the alignment and posture in your neck. The nerves that supply the forearm, wrist, and hand exit the spine in the lower neck. This is a common area for these nerves to be pinched and is many times overlooked in carpal tunnel care. Additionally, massage of the forearm muscles, adjustment of the bones in the wrist, and low level laser on the wrist are very effective methods of treatment.
I have a 100% success rate with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Check out our website, I have a video of a joint mobilization that MUST be done!