All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Dark spot on toenail

Does the dark spot on my toenail look like a bruise, fungus, or what? I've noticed it for about a week and I have hit my foot on stuff a couple of times but my nail is also yellowish so I'm not sure.
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Complaint duration: 6 days
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Looks like a bruise. Should keep growing out, if not see a doctor.
1 UpVoted this answer Bernabe B. Canlas, DPM Podiatrist, League City
As long as it is not painful leave it alone. Just to make sure take a Picture with a ruler on your toe and then weekly take another and compare them. Do this for 8 weeks. If the spot does not move out then i would recommend seeing a Podiatrist. If the dark spot stays in the same spot you may need to remove the toe nail to verify whats under there.
Flavio Cordano
The dark spot is dried blood from the injury.
Steven L. Rosenberg
The dark spot looks like subungual hematoma. The yellowing of the nail is possibly fungus, could be staining from nail polish. Consult a podiatrist for further evaluation.
Bonnie Lin
It appears to be a bruise under the toenail with fungus on the end of the nail. It should grow out. If it doesn't see a podiatrist for evaluation.
Jerald Askin
As noted by the other doctors who responded, this is appears to be a bruise under the nail. An early minor fungus infection of the far end of the nail is also possible given the yellowish color of the far end of the nail. An antifungal cream applied to the nail can be helpful in minor nail fungus cases. Unfortunately, there are some over-the-counter products that are marketed for nail fungus that actually do not contain an antifungal. Watch to see how the nail progresses over the next couple of months. It can take 6 months or more for a nail to grow from root to tip, so watch at the base of the nail for changes. If the nail does not get better or if pain develops, go see a local podiatrist.
Most likely a bruise and should be measured and observed over several months
It does look like a bruise. If it is non-painful you can watch this for any changes. Bruises under a nail do not fade away like bruises in your skin. It will have to grow out. If it enlarges, fails to grow out in 6-8 months, begins to hurt, bleed or drain, please see your local podiatrist.
probably hematoma can not rule out melonoma and or fungus yellow could also be from nail polish also hard to see but there maybe ridges in the nail so psoriasis can cause part of the problem
Henry J. Miller
Not much to add. Likely a subungual hematoma with early fungal infection. See your local podiatrist for confirmation and treatment.