All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

What could be causing my pelvic pain? What are the next steps/tests needed to get to the bottom of it?

I've been experiencing pelvic pain for nearly 3 months now. It started as what I thought was a standard UTI and was treated for such. The pain persisted so I was then treated for a bacterial infection. That was before the holidays. I keep waiting for the symptoms to subside with no luck. I've never had anything really like this, so I'm starting to worry. The main symptom is pelvic/lower abdominal pain. It sometimes radiates to my lower back. I also get nauseous. I feel a pressure where the pain is, and it sometimes feels like it's pressing on my bladder or bowels especially upon waking in the mornings. There also appears to be some discharge sometimes and rarely somewhat painful urination. Minor changes in menstruation as well. I've had a cough that has waxed an waned for about the same amount of time. I don't imagine it's related but figured I'd throw it in there just in case. I've reached out to my doctor who's not gotten back to me yet. As I mentioned, I've never really had symptoms like this, so I'm looking for advice on what the next best steps might be to get to the bottom of it. Please advise. Thank you!
Poster
  • 30 years old
  • Ethnicity: Hispanic/Latino
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 125lbs
  • Conditions: Chronic RUQ pain

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

9 UpVoted this answer
There can many reasons for pelvic pain. Without your exact history and age, I will have to speculate. Yes you can can have an UTI that was resistant to the antibiotic and you would need an urine culture to confirm. Sometimes discomfort from an UTI can persists long after the treatment (a month or so). Other reasons for the discomfort are an ovarian cyst, endometriosis, diverticulosis, Interstitial cystitis, urethral syndrome, constipation and a pelvic/vaginal/uterine infection. With a recent cough possibly pulled abdominal muscles?? Tuberculosis (very uncommon)?? I suggest you revisit your physician to at least have a urine culture, vaginal culture and a possible pelvic ultrasound.
7 UpVoted this answer
Pelvic pain is very complex. This pelvic pain will need another gyn appointment to followup with a pelvic Exam with culture, a urine analysis, urine culture & ultrasound is needed. Since the urinary tract infection was treated previously a followup urine culture would make sure the antibiotics taken was effective. Pelvic exam & cultures needs to be done to rule out a pelvic inflammatory disease. An ultrasound may be needed to rule out any cysts.
7 UpVoted this answer
It is imperative that you go to the doctor, and get a full work up. You likely need a gynecological exam and they will be able to determine what further tests you may need including pregnancy tests, as well as ultrasound and possible CT scan to make sure there are no space occupying lesions in your abdomen. Coughing could be a result of pressure pushing on a nerve. In addition, any backflow of urine from a potential pressure from a cyst or tumor could cause an infection in your urinary tract.

This is not something to wait on.

It could be something small now that may grow later on. Getting something while it is small is definitely easier.

Go, now, and get it checked out!
Kimberly Kalfas
5 UpVoted this answer
Hello, I think you may have an ovarian cyst and I recommend you come see an obgyn at the office for a visit/ultrasound and/or some testing for std's and other infections as well!

Pelvic pain can have many causes, even ibs, other gi problems or urological issues as interstitial cystitis could play a role.

These things are hard to diagnose per email so don't wait but see your doc. Please avoid the er if you can and if you don't have insurance.

Sincerely,

Rixt Luikenaar MD FACOG
Rixt Luikenaar
4 UpVoted this answer
The most common reason:

Infection-difficult to diagnose

fibroids

ovarian cysts

endometriosis-also difficult to diagnose

you would need an ultrasound and PAP smear and blood test
David Resneck-Sannes
4 UpVoted this answer
Your symptoms sound much like those of sacroiliac joint disorder. The additional data I need to know is your age and the number of children you have born. Please go to Brighton Criteria for a rating of your joint stability. If you have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS) via this evaluation, then contact me at laurencebadgley.com and review my posts at Quora.com under my name and on my Pain Syndrome Board. I have also posted my writings about these matters, and numbered more than 750 essays, at twitter as @doctorbadgley.
Laurence E. Badgley
4 UpVoted this answer
The 2 things that sprin to mind are endometriosis (usually diagnosed by diagnostic laparoscopy) and interstitial cystitis. The doctors to be seen are a gynecologist and if she can not find the cause, them a urologist. Best of luck.
3 UpVoted this answer
Without more history, I think you should schedule a visit to see a Gyn and get cultures and possible an ultrasound. Bring all your records of recent tests when you go for that visit.
2 UpVoted this answer
You need a thorough exam and I cannot officially give you an answer but I would check for pelvic muscle and back problems, check a path advantage vaginal infection panel to make sure no rare vaginal infections and check a urine culture and labs. Hope it helps!
Jennifer Weatherly
2 UpVoted this answer
I would start with a blood exam. Check for any alteration, and of course a physical palpation of the abdomen. Don't let it evolution visit a Gyn.
Gabriel E. Margain