All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

I have what looks like a skin tag on my labia which is exactly what my Obgyn said it is. How can I be sure? And how can I have it removed since its making me sexually self conscious?

I have what looks like a skin tag on my labia which is exactly what my Obgyn said it is. How can I be sure? And how can I have it removed since its making me sexually self conscious?
Poster
  • 29 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 120lbs
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: No
  • Hospitalizations: Yes for kidney stones

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

7 UpVoted this answer
This "skin tag" can be easily removed in the office and then sent to pathology to diagnose what type of a lesion it is. I'm sure your Gyn would be happy to do this for you.
4 UpVoted this answer
You could have a simple shave biopsy which would completely remove it and tell you what it is by sending it to pathology. I would recommend this, since a genital wart could also look like a skin tag.
Ben Palombo
3 UpVoted this answer
See your dermatologist who can remove the growth easily in the office and send it for pathology to confirm that it is only a skin tag. The procedure takes roughly 5 minutes and is quick safe and virtually pain free.
Mary Ann Martinez
3 UpVoted this answer
The only way to know 100% is to have it either biopsied or excised (and sent for pathologic specimen). Typically this can be done in the office using some local anesthetic and removed easily.
Charles B. Palmer
2 UpVoted this answer
Skin tags on the labia are relatively common. You can definitely have it removed easily during an office visit with your doctor.
Robert L. True
2 UpVoted this answer
You can get a little local and snip it off, Very easy.
Nicole J. Nguyen
2 UpVoted this answer
The only way to be absolutely sure that the labial "skin tag" is a skin tag is to have it removed.

Your Family Doctor should be able to remove it in the office with ease and send the specimen out to be analyzed... then you will be sure.

As mentioned in prior answers, your insurance may not cover the procedure.

Good luck.
Gina Greco-Tartaglia
2 UpVoted this answer
Removal is usally straight forward and done in the office under local anesthesia. Insurance may consider it a cosmetic procedure and not cover it.
Kenneth W. Crabb
2 UpVoted this answer
Depending on how big it is, it can most likely be frozen with liquid nitrogen, then it will fall off within a week. Most dermatologist and family doctor's offices have liquid nitrogen available.
Karin Young
1 UpVoted this answer
I am sure your gynecologist could tell you the best way to remove it. I am surprised you are on here asking because she or he should have told you the answer to this question. If you are worried about venereal warts then can get tested for that particular strain of HPV.

Skin tags can be biopsied as well (which, in essence would remove it) and sent to pathology.
Kimberly Kalfas