All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

On Friday I had some dental work. Right after, I started to experience really bad pain on my tongue right where the work was performed. I notice a white, not quite blister but like a white raised piece of skin. It's still there, still very painful to talk, eat, brush, etc... Any idea on what could've caused this? What it is? How to treat it. I am supposed to return to dentist tomorrow for another filling and a cleaning. Not sure if that's safe to do with the questionable thing in my mouth.

On Friday I had some dental work. Right after, I started to experience really bad pain on my tongue right where the work was performed. I notice a white, not quite blister but like a white raised piece of skin. It's still there, still very painful to talk, eat, brush, etc... Any idea on what could've caused this? What it is? How to treat it. I am supposed to return to dentist tomorrow for another filling and a cleaning. Not sure if that's safe to do with the questionable thing in my mouth.
Poster
  • 40 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 145lbs

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

32 UpVoted this answer
Normal possibilities to this problem were the dentist Nicked your tongue with the drill or the turbine in the drill is wearing out and it heated up and maybe Burned your tongue or if he used a matrix band for the filling placement sometimes it can cut the tongue.Lastly, if the filling is not smooth it can irratate the area.
Allan D. Schulman
25 UpVoted this answer Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh
From the way you describe your tongue it could be a couple possibilities. The most common is trauma from accidentally biting your tongue while you were numb. The trauma has created an ulceration and the tissue tag is the trauma from biting the area. It will usually heal itself in 7-14 days; in the meantime, use of a topical numbing agent will relieve the pain. There are some over-the-counter type for protecting for sores in the mouth. The one that comes to mind is Ziladent. Other possible causes are chemical trauma from the materials used or there could be a sharp edge on the new filling creating the sore. As I said at the beginning it is most likely trauma from being numb. If the sore lasts over 2 weeks though, please return to your dentist to have it evaluated.
John Sheets
16 UpVoted this answer
A white plaque of soft tissue may be scar tissue formed after some sort of trauma. This trauma may be a chemical burn, may be an extraction site, or maybe the patient chewed the tissue during eating while still numb. Another possibility is tissue burn from hot food or drink. Chances are that these types of scar tissue resolve within a few days. It the plaque persists after a week, it is best to have it examined for treatment.
Michelle Morgan
11 UpVoted this answer
Periodically while the treatment is in progress, debris may irritate the back of the tongue and cause a quick response of a swallowing reflex. If this occurs when the operator is preparing the tooth for restoration, the side of the tongue is then in contact with the side of the hand piece or the bur itself. In either case, the heat or the flutes of the bur may burn or slightly cut the side of the tongue.

The cause most often of the disturbance on the side of the tongue is biting the numb tongue and or cheek.

Oragel or other pain relievers may be in order.

Perhaps another reason is the motion of the tongue when the band and wedge are in use to place the restoration. Again if the patient swallows or moves the tongue while those are being used a scratch or cut may then occur. Even a rubber dam may cause a variety of types of irritation to the side of the tongue or gingiva.

Any discomfort to our patient like this is a major irritation to your day and we totally understand that. And it is undeniably a sad event for both the patient and the office.

It is so very rare that something like this occurs and you are wise to allow that area to heal and wait a couple weeks to pass prior to your further restorations.

Best of luck, Brian
Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS
11 UpVoted this answer
Happy New Year!

Based on your description , it looks like an accidental tongue bite. Keep your mouth clean by rinsing with warm salt water rinse. its also best to drop by the office to let the doctor check it for your peace of mind .
Valerie P. De Leon
10 UpVoted this answer
I would recommend to see your dentist as soon as you can. It sounds as though you have an ulcer, that was caused by trauma. The most common trauma is biting of the tongue while it is still numb. It is also possible that the tongue was abraded or cut by an instrument. Some electric hand pieces can get hot at the tip and burn tissue, or it is possible that some of the bonding agent could have leaked to the tongue and cause this injury. These ulcers are very painful, and it is difficult to eat and talk, they do start to feel better within a few days and clear up within a week.

Wish you a happy New Years,

Dr. Alan Howard, Encino, California
9 UpVoted this answer Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh
Hi. It sounds like trauma from biting your tongue or a tissue burn from a hot liquid. You can use warm salt rinses or place Ambesol on the area to help with pain. The area should heal in 7-14 days. Please return to your dentist so they can check the area.
James E. Steer
8 UpVoted this answer
There could be several things that could cause a lesion on your tongue after dental treatment. If you were numbed during the procedure the most common cause of tongue lesions is accidental biting of the area since you cannot feel the area. You may have also had a reaction to the etchant gel if it accidentally got on your tongue. This product is used to clean and prepare your tooth before the filling is placed. As along as you are not having excessive pain it is safe to proceed with treatment on the other side. If the lesion does continue to get bigger or become irregular in shape or size please see your dentist or oral surgeon to have it evaluated for a pathologic process. Tongue lesions due to trauma usually dissipate in about 7 days.
April Toyer
8 UpVoted this answer
This sounds like a possible tongue bite while being numb. You would not have felt it when it happened since you were numb but it hurts like crazy when the anesthic wears off. You can treat it by dabbing area with Campho-phenique on a Q-Tip. You can also rinse with Listerine Mouthwash to help kill bacteria in area to lessen pain and hasten healing . . . .
5 UpVoted this answer
I agree with my colleagues ,the most simple thing to do is just go to your dentist and ask him to visit you. I am sure there is nothing to worry much about. It will be treated within a few days.BUT just get it checked with your dentist.
tahereh riahi