All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

My period is supposed to be over but I'm still bleeding

To start, my period is usually never early and always ends after 8 days. It's usually very heavy and the first day or 2 I have severe cramps. However, this month it was 5 days early and before I even got my period I was having sharp pains in my lower right side, like as if it was my ovary. I have a cyst that's on my right ovary that measures 2.2cm. Last year it was only 2cm.

Now my period is supposed to be over but I'm still bleeding. It's a much lighter color than it normally is as well.
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Conditions: Ovarian cyst on my right ovary

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
You didn't mention if you were on any hormonal type birth control, so my answer will assume that you are not taking this type of birth control. A 2 or 2.2 cm cyst on an ovary would not be perceived as painful by a patient. These cysts are usually noticed on pelvic ultrasound, but are not the cause of your "sharp pain" in the right lower side. The fact that your period started "early" probably means you did not ovulate, and that is why your period is also lasting longer. The first thing I would recommend is to get a pregnancy test if there is any chance you are pregnant. The second thing is to go to a GYN if you r bleeding/spotting lasts for more than 14 days. It is not unusual for a woman to have at least one abnormal "period" a year, so the condition may get better on its own. Good luck.
Normal periods supposed to be not longer then 5-6 days. So your periods are already longer even under "normal" circumstances. You have to many other issues to be resolved at once, so you better see your gyn. soon and have a repeat transvaginal sonogram done to be able to form an idea as to what is going on. You might also need some blood test to see your hormones. Call for an appointment.
Zoltan Saary, MD
I've had an abortion ever since I find myself going months without my period. I started nuvaring 3 months ago. I have been bleeding for about 2 1/2 weeks now & it's consistently brown for a while now and now almost black
Poster