All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

red skin condition on foot

It started as an itch and became red and itchy and dry, and also flaky. When i wear shoes or something it scratches and the top skin makes like a crust and falls off after a while. Its strange because it only itches when it is warm for example after a shower or bath or in hot weather and becomes red, its now winter here and then it almost never itches but stays a bit red. It does not really hurt. I did see a doctor here and received some anti biotics and some viocort cream but not working.
Poster
  • Male | 34 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Medications: viocort cream, some anti-biotics
  • Conditions: none

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
Allergic reaction or fungus?
I think its probably a dermatitis of some sort will need a biopsy for definitive diagnosis but can also rule out the possibility of contact of some sort try different shoes and possibly without shoes at all for a few days as mentioned before different socks and detergents even. Rule out some things first and then go loaded with information to your foot doctor. One more thing stop destroying your toe nails you are going to get an infection. cut them straight across or get them removed by a podiatrist permanently.
Flavio Cordano
Thank you. Just an update, when the itch first started it wasnt over the whole red area, it was just in a small spot, at first it felt like a mosquito sting or something.
Poster
There are several possibilities as a cause for this rash. I would think getting a more thorough history such as potential factors that make the rash worse, rashes elsewhere on the body, recent exposure to irritants (e.g. new detergents, new shoes, etc.) would be helpful. A prescription antifungal may be tried since this could represent an atypical presentation of a fungal infection of the skin (e.g. athlete's foot / tinea pedis). If multiple treatments fail, a biopsy of the skin may be considered. I would suggest seeing a podiatrist in your area.
Palmer Branch
Was a culture done before the antibiotics? If not that would be my first suggestion. If it is negative a biopsy would probably be the next step.
Jerald Askin
Sorry to hear about your foot. It sound like you have been suffering with this for a while.

First I have some home work for you. Think about some recurrent contact your foot has had with and unusual bush or rubber, latex or other chemical. It could be something that spilled on a shoe or sneaker. Or stop wearing a pair of shoes for a 4-5 days at a time and see if it is getting better.

If that does not do it, see your local Podiatrist and consider a different topical apparoach and or a skin biopsy.

Feel better.

Dr. Brian Goldstein
Brian Goldstein
Thanks for all the replies!

Dr Rajnish, you said it looks like scabies, may I ask why you think so?
Poster
Contact dermatitis or fungal infection-see a Podiatrist A scraping of the tissue can be examined under a microscope.
Dr. Marc Munson
It looks like scabies.
With it only on one foot, a contact to topical medication[think Neosporin] or a fungus infection are the two most likely diagnoses. Stop any over the counter med, use a topical antifungal 2x/day for three weeks and it may well clear. I like Terbenafine cream as an otc fungal treatment cream.
Alan Semion