All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

coughing blood

Hello, my friend told me today he went to the hospital last night because he coughed up and vomitted a lot of blood and they did multiple test on him and found nothing and sent him home. he went to school today with no cough but he felt like his left side was going to burst or explode and he would get light headed out of nowhere and he may/may not see a dr tomorrow... probably won't ... what could cause this?? is he okay??
Poster
  • Female | 25 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: none
  • Conditions: light headed, lower stomach pain, dizzy spells, getting sleepy out of no where or moody easily

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

needs to see Pulmonologist , follow up is necessary and soon
Ousama Ghaibeh
I am a bit surprised that a doctor saw your friend and sent him back to school without ruling out tuberculosis in the presence of hemoptysis (coghing up blood). Going by what you described he might be actively bleeding into her left lung from eroded bronchial vessels in a tuberculous cavity.

Your friend needs to head straight to the ER for immediate pleural tap before his left lung collapses under the pressure of accumulated blood (hemothorax). Even before a Chest X-ray film is deveoped, a simple blood test can say if he has atIve tuberculosis or not.

Ruling TB in or out ensures that he is admitted into the right ward for lung drainage, blood replacement and possible surgical intervention. Admitting him into a TB ward without confirmation unnecessarily exposes her, while admitting him into a regular ward unnecessarily expose other patients to tuberculosis. Keep me posted if your friend is sent home again without ruling out TB, so that I can report it to the health department.
I am a bit surprised that a doctor saw your friend and sent him back to school without ruling out tuberculosis in the presence of hemoptysis (coghing up blood). Going by what you described she might be actively bleeding into her left lung from eroded bronchial vessels in a tuberculous cavity.

Your friend needs to head straight to the ER for immediate pleural tap before her left lung collapses under the pressure of accumulated blood (hemothorax). Even before a Chest X-ray film is deveoped, a simple blood test can say if she has atIve tuberculosis or not.

Ruling TB in or out ensures that she is admitted into the right ward for lung drainage, blood replacement and possible surgical intervention. Admitting her into a TB ward without confirmation unnecessarily exposes her, while admitting her into a regular ward unnecessarily expose other patients to tuberculosis. Keep me posted if your friend is sent home again without ruling out TB, so that I can report it to the health department.
He definitely needs to be checked out to determine the cause. Most time in the emergency room a patient is being checked and cleared for problems that pose an immediate risk to the health of the patient. Also it is important to determine if he is vomiting blood or coughing up blood. If he was thoroughly checked at the ER, he should be seen quickly by his primary care physician. With his symptoms of left chest/side pain and light-headedness. he needs to go back to the ER ASAP.
he is not O K , he needs to be checked for a blood test CBC , to see where his Hemoglobin is , what is his blood pressure? ,pulse rate , his skin is it cold , ? the ER doctor should have kept him in the hospital for follow up there is a liability here, he needs to go back to the ER or check with doctor
Ousama Ghaibeh
IT sounds like he is loosing blood somewhere especially with the pain, light headedness, most likely the GI tract. He needs to go immediately to the ER, and he should be admitted to have an upper endoscopy at the least to rule out GI bleed. That is the worst case scenario, but tell him GI bleeds can go badly very quickly, he needs to get to the hospital right away, someone else should drive him or call the ambulance.
Did he cough up blood or vomit blood, because it's important to tell the difference. In either case, if he expelled "a lot of blood" and is now lightheaded, sleepy and gets stomach pains, these could be signs of excessive blood loss and he should go to the ER right away to check and get treated. What's causing the blood loss is something they could find out in the emergency room and it will need to be stopped right away.

Be Well.

--Dr. Sarge www.mimpc.com

(877) 254-4496