All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Permanent Retainers

I got my braces off and my doctor put a permanent retainer on the top front row of my teeth. I use to have a gap which was caused by thumb sucking but I don't think I need a permanent retainer.
Poster
  • Female | 19 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Ethnicity: African American/Black
  • Height: 5'5
  • Weight: 160lbs
  • Conditions: scoliosis, peanut allergy

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer Vasant Ramlaggan, DDS Dentist, Toronto Eric Spieler, DMD Dentist, Bala Cynwyd Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh
A permanent retainer here is absolutely indicated to thwart the chance of relapse occurring and a partial space returning. If you go with a removable appliance your risk will go up that the diastema will return. If it were me, I'd keep it! Good luck.
Arvind Petrie
2 UpVoted this answer Vasant Ramlaggan, DDS Dentist, Toronto Eric Spieler, DMD Dentist, Bala Cynwyd
everyone that has braces needs a retainer. As teeth need to be held in place every with braces teeth can move again.
Broad Ripple Family Dental
2 UpVoted this answer Vasant Ramlaggan, DDS Dentist, Toronto Eric Spieler, DMD Dentist, Bala Cynwyd
Hi! Unfortunately, you do require a permanent retainer whether you think so or not. The gap will reappear if you don't have one! I would say it will be a good bet that you will need ortho again if you don't follow the recommendations. But, we can't force you!
1 UpVoted this answer Eric Spieler, DMD Dentist, Bala Cynwyd
As an orthodontist, I concur with your doctor's decision of having a fixed retainer for the gap. Gaps open up very easily, sometimes in a matter of hours. However, the retainers on upper front teeth might need long-term maintenance. So don't expect it to be "permanent". Floss there the way you were instructed to floss when you had braces.

Good luck!
Yu Pan
The likely chances are that you need some sort of retainer. Either a permanent or removable. I would give you an option to keep it on, remove it and make a removable retainer/or nightguard or remove it and hope for the best. I added the nightguard because a few of my patients need nightguards and that would take care of the grinding and the movement. I had braces as a teenager and wore my retainer for a few years but then switched to an upper nightguard and maintained my lower removable retainer.

If I do not wear these appliances for over 3 days, I get shifting in my teeth, especially the gap between my front teeth (diastem). I do a lot of invisalign to correct these relapse cases. so unless you want to go through orthodontics/invisalign again, keep the retainer.
Teeth are attached to bone with coil like structure called periodontal Ligament . They tend to spring back tooth in its original place if not stopped by retainer. The removable retainer prevents the spring back reaction but it is not as effective

as Fixed retainer because of lack of compliance and during the time it is out of mouth , the teeth tend to spring back in it;s original position .
Binod K. Verma
Go with the retainer

Relapse is common

So a permanent retainer is the proverbial ounce of prevention
David G. Kaplan
Permanent is permanent until you take it off, this is done in cases when the treating dentist feels there is a high chance of relapse (teeth move back). In reality there is no way to know if this will happen or not, it's a professional opinion. What we expect to happen is that the fixed retainer will stay for around 5 years, at that time you can choose to keep it, take it off and get a removable one ( at night wear) or not use a retainer at all.
The bonded retainer may help your teeth sty in position. Over time the retainer will need to be replaced. After discussing with your dentist you may opt for a removable retainer.You could use the new retainer for whitening your teeth.
Fixed canine to canine retainers are placed to provide maximum support to the anterior teeth . If you do this treatment, you must remember two things. One, people are lazy and will frequently stop the necessary homecare to maintain the area. Long term effects of this are cavities on the sides of the teeth and more advanced periodontal ( gum ) problems. Two, it does not provide you with posterior support. A strong tongue trust behavior can advance the anterior 6 out as a unit causing spacing to develope posterior to the canines.. If you had any arch expansion in the posterior, it will collapse in and drive the anterior 6 out as an unit. The next thing that you should look at is why do you have a central space in the first place? Is it due to a high frenum attachment or related to the tongue thrust behavior. If it is due to a high frenum attachment then a frenectomy can help to stabilize the space after you close it down with orthodontics. If spacing is created by a tongue thrust behavior, the spacing is usually more symmetrical and not centered only in the midline. If you go with a fixed retainer, do yourself a favor and have a removable retainer made to fit over the fixed retainer. This will provide an extra layer of retention for the anterior teeth and also stabilize the posterior teeth. PS. Do not get lazy with your hyqiene. Dr. Larry
Lawrence Harkins