All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Progesterone

My RE has prescribed progesterone but I do not have low levels of progesterone. Can this harm my pregnancy I am 4 weeks 3 days pregnant. I have had recurrent miscarriages 3 times now but never did my RE say that my progesterone was low.
Poster
  • Female | 35 years old
  • Medications: Progesterone

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Progesterone is a hormone that is elevated in pregnancy anyway and may prevent miscarriage. If you weren't tested in the pregnancies you lost, you don't know for sure. The only danger is if high doses are taken past around 10 weeks. It could potentially feminize a male fetus.
Maureen Fleming
1 UpVoted this answer
It will not harm your pregnancy. The placenta makes lots of progesterone and it helps maintain the pregnancy. Good luck.
1 UpVoted this answer Kevin W. Hamburger, MD OB/GYN, Sioux City
Not sure .Either pills or gel are sometimes prescribed to support an early pregnancy, mostly when the levels are low . Ask your RE the rationale of the progesterone use in your case. In some cases some medications are given to patients not knowing for sure if they are going to help but for sure they will not hurt you. Good luck.
Richard Nuila-Crouse
You were probably suggested Progesterone because of your pregnancy history. I'd need more info to give you a more definite answer, but generally: Progesterone is often used during pregnancy both to prevent/ or treat certain expected, or existing complications. Used with adequate knowledge it is usually harmless and often helps!
Zoltan Saary, MD
Certainly the correct, well accepted treatment for recurrent miscarriages is early progesterone supplementation regardless of your progesterone levels.... ! There should be no harm to your pregnancy....
Paul L. Schell
Have you seen an ND or investigated Functional Medicine?

You should.

learn more here:

http://orangeparkchiropractor.com/functional-medicine/

www.discoverhealth.us
U could get a second opinion from an ObGyn doctor.
Victor Shabanah
Increasing levels of progesterone are required to maintain a pregnancy. The inability to produce enough hormone is probably the main reason for recurrent miscarriages.

In menopause your progesterone level may drop to .3. Men may have level of 2 or 3 (10 times more than a menopausal female). Off the top of my head, when younger, progesterone levels cycle each month from a low of perhaps 3 to a high of perhaps 30. In the 3rd trimester of pregnancy your progesterone level may reach 400.

Progesterone is pain relieving. This is why chronic painful conditions are in remission during the 3rd trimester. High levels of progesterone are what is responsible for the euphoria/glow of pregnancy. When the progesterone levels drop, contractions begin. After delivery when your progesterone levels drop to normal.... The contrast from euphoria is called postpartum depression.

Progesterone protects the uterus and breasts from cancer.

If you have ever heard of the term "estrogen dominance", this refers to not having enough progesterone to balance out the estrogen. PMS is one result of this condition.

When taken by mouth, like everything else taken by mouth, progesterone travels through the liver. One of the metabolites of progesterone made in the liver is 5 allopregnanolone. This works on the same receptors in the brain (GABA) that Valium, Ambien and Xanax affect. So progesterone is like long acting Valium.

We prescribe it so often in our office that to save money for patients we actually compounded it on-site. We go through so much of it that we purchase the pharmaceutical grade powder 25 to 50 kg at a time.

The main reason we prescribe it is for perimenopausal and menopausal sleep disorder. The 2nd main reason is to balance out the estrogen for natural hormone replacement. The 3rd reason is for anxiety. The 4th reason is for PMS.

Progesterone is a feel-good hormone for women.

All of the above applies only to the bioidentical form of progesterone. The progestins, like Provera, are like the evil sisters of pure natural progesterone.

Progesterone is used to maintain a pregnancy..... Provera is an abortifacient (causes miscarriage).

Progesterone is calming.... This is certainly not the case with Provera.

Progesterone can be helpful for weight loss...... Provera often causes horrendous weight gain.

This list can go on and on.

It is doubtful your RE knows all of what I just taught you. But at least knows enough to do the right thing for someone who has had repeated miscarriages.

More of this type of information can be found atwww.innovativeMedicine.com