All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

How do I unclog my ears?

My ears have been clogged for over a month and I've taken 3 courses of antibiotics. What should I do?
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

31 UpVoted this answer
It is likely that you have some chronic "mold"/ fungal otitis. The yeast is trapped in your ear canals and eustachian tubes and acts like a "fishing net" in that it traps/catches bacteria and causes recurrent ear and sinus infections despite antibiotic after antibiotic. Try using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (common variety found in the pharmicies/drug stores).. put 3 to 5 drops in your ear (while your head is resting sideways) for about 3 to 5 minutes and then let drain out.... it will snap, crackle, pop, tickle.... do this then in the opposite ear in the same manner. repeat this 2 times per day for several days. In addition, try using Colloidal Silver nasal spray (GOOGLE Argentyn 23 or Sovereign Silver Nasal Spray)... use 2 to 3 puffs in each nostril and a few drops in each ear 2 times per day. I bet you will notice significant improvement. If you truly wish to knock this out.... ask your doctor (the one who keeps prescribing the antibiotics) and see if they would be willing to prescribe NYSTATIN 500,000 unit Tablets...#90....take 3 tabs at bedtime for 30 days. This should eradicate the yeast/mold/fungus.
Aldino L Pierotti III
16 UpVoted this answer
Someone who knows what they are doing needs to look in your ear with an otoscope to see if the problem is wax, fluid behind the eardrum infection, or something else. Why were you given antibiotics? Did you see a clinician who thought you had an ear infection? In order to figure this out more information is needed. I would recommend either seeing your regular physician or going to a clinic where you can talk to someone about your symptoms (what do you mean when you say "clogged"), give them your detailed history (including the fact that you have taken 3 courses of antibiotics), and let them look in your ear. Good luck
13 UpVoted this answer
There is a technique that will handle this quickly. It involves a mechanical action to the earlobe that will pop the eustachian tube open immediately. A few holistic doctors know how to do this. If you cannot find anyone who knows this, try putting hydrogen peroxide in the ears 2 times daily. Let a few drops bubble down in. Pulsatilla is a homeopathic remedy that helps ears. Congaplex and Thymex from Standard Process supplements is better for ears than antibiotics. I also look for liver/gall bladder congestion when anti-biotics do not handle an ear infection. Astragalus and Echinacea (from top sources) could help, also.
10 UpVoted this answer
there probably is swelling in the inner ear canals. You might respond to a short course of steroids (cortisone) such as prednisone for 7 days or a Medrol dosepak.
8 UpVoted this answer
Allopathic antibiotics are commonly known to contribute to ear infections or further worsen conditions of otitis media or other issues with clogged ears, popping etc.... Furthermore, it needs to be determined what the underlying cause of your ears feeling clogged, thus needing the anti-biotics in the first place is(.i,e Medication, Diet, Infection, Environment etc). Upper respiratory infections and even dental issues can play a role in causing your situation, but proper assessment and diagnosis is needed. You may want to consider trying a Naturopathic Physician or Doctor of Integrative Medicine, who are clinically trained with a more holistic approach to dealing with ailments, especially so you don't end up taking medicines that contribute to the problem instead of helping it as common with allopathic pharmaceuticals... Its definitely not something you can do on your own. Ask a Naturopathic Doctor about Traumeel in addition to receiving a full assessment and consult.
7 UpVoted this answer
As already written by others here, I would first consider the yeast connection. The fact that you have been on antibiotics immediately raises the question about yeast. Since anti-biotics means "against all life", it is only natural to understand that your good flora or good bacteria could be very low. Did you take probiotics while on antibiotics? If so, when and how many times/day? As far as trying to rid your body of yeast/fungus, I would do it 'naturally' with a yeast killing kit which could include garlic, oregano leaf, oregon grape, Pau D'Arco, etc. ALSO you need to put the good bacteria back into your system (probiotics).

I totally agree with the ARGENTYN 23, hydrosol silver. You can take it orally as well as use a glass dropper and place a drop or two in the ears/nose. Sinusitis is not only yeast but bacterial as well. Hence, the need for ARGENTYN 23.

I would also bet that there are other symptoms you are experiencing as well besides just the clogged ears.

blessings-

Dr. Sue Massie, ND
Sue A Massie
6 UpVoted this answer
Dr. Pierotti has given you excellent advice. In addition to the things he suggested, I would recommend a visit to your local chiropractor to speed your progress dramatically. Misalignment of the first and second cervical (neck) vertebrae can mechanically aggravate the blockage you feel and slow down your healing process. Moving them back into correct alignment will make everything Dr. Pierotti suggested work faster and better. If you do not want to take any more drugs, Pau D'Arco is an herb which is useful when dealing with fungal infections. I usually prefer the liquid herbal preparations. To keep your flora balanced and prevent further infections, I would also recommend a really good probiotic. It is always important to take probiotics after you've used antibiotics to restore the good bacteria the antibiotics destroyed. When there are plenty of good bacteria in your system, there isn't as much room for unfavorable bacteria or fungus to grow. I recommend Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics, which you can find online or at many health food stores.

Hope things clear up soon!
Jana L.Scott
6 UpVoted this answer
It's important to have your ears examined. You could have an accumulation of earwax, other material such as infection. Other causes for a clogged ear can come from a sinus condition. In this instance the ears feel clogged but are actually clear.
Robert J. Wolf
5 UpVoted this answer
There are many causes for a "clogged ear". It can range from ear wax, an external ear infection (which can be fungal or bacterial), an inner ear infection, a cholesteatoma (basically an overgrowth of skin cells due to chronic inflammation), problems with the bones within the inner ear, and eustachian tube dysfunction (swelling of the tube which drains the inner ear into the back of the throat). So it depends on what your doctor found on examination. It sounds like you had an infection as the cause if they gave you antibiotics. Often what may happen is that the infection clears with the antibiotics but the fluid remains. In this case, if re-infected, I would treat with a broader spectrum antibiotic but include an antihistamine (such as Zyrtec, Allegra or Claritin) and a nasal spray (containing a steroid anti-inflammatory) to open up the Eustachian tubes and allow for proper drainage. If this doesn't work, then an ENT evaluation is indicated (assuming none of the other conditions listed above are present). Hope that helps.

Hugh Pabarue, MD, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Michigan
Hugh P. Pabarue
3 UpVoted this answer
The eustation tubes produce a wax that helps protect the inner ear from bugs, debris and adds insulation. However, some people produce too much of this wax. The best and easiest way to unclog the ear is to do Ear Candling or Ear Coning. The Ear Candle is a hollow cone that is made from linen dipped in paraffin then wrapped around a metal core until hard. One end is very small. This end rests at the opening of the ear. The larger end is lit and the flame produces a smoke that will flow down the Ear Candle and enter the ear canal. The smoke helps to warm the ear wax and soften it, while the vacuum produced from the heat draws the excess wax into the candle.

This is a very safe procedure, and I recommend finding someone trained to perform Ear Candling to do this for you. You can purchase Ear Candles at your local health food store and perform this at home. Precaution: It is a flame and you must use caution. Always have a cup of water to extinguish the candle when it has burned down sufficient amount. Always use a foil wrapped plate to protect your face and hair from the flame of the candle. Inspect the inside of the candle after it has burned down to about 2 inches from the plate (not from your ear).

A trained person can tell you the results of your session. I once had a patient that produced so much wax we had filled up the candle with a light clean wax. She had sleep apnea, and I know she needed to get this wax removed on a regular basis. However, sometimes the ear is blocked or feels that way due to excess fluid from swimming, shower and the like.

One last cautionary comment: Always follow your ear candling with some garlic oil. This will bring a moist oily surface back to the inner ear and adds as an infection prevention.

Warm regards,

Doc Wah