All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Can a type one diabetic have energy drinks such as five hour energy ?

I'm a type one diabetic with a pump and an okay A1C. Coffee and actually most caffeine drinks do not work for me and make me tired instead. However, I have to study and stay up all night and was wondering if I had an energy drink (giving for the carbs of course) would it severely affect me ? Like make me sick or make my blood sugars go out of whack ? Please help !!
Poster
  • Ethnicity: Other Pacific Islander
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Medications: Nova log , Effexor, birth control, Xanax , levothyroxine
  • Conditions: Diabetes type 1

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Jeff S. Hampton, FNP Family Practitioner, Halls
Energy drinks do work - most energy drinks contain either caffeine or guarana (an herbal caffeine-like chemical) plus some form of "sugar" -- either glucose, sucrose, or high-fructose syrup derivative. As a type 1 Diabetic person taking your mentioned medications, it is essential for your mental health and emotional health as well as your physical and physiological health to maintain a healthy biorhythm. When we sleep, hormones dip: cortisol dips, adrenalin compounds dip and sleep is enabled. And, melatonin rises. These circadian rhythms are essential for our health. Abandoning your biological clock rhythms will conflict with Effexor and will destabilize glucose control - and make you a bit more insulin resistant. Not good.... On the other hand, I am sure you are capable of controlling your glucose values with Insulin Pump and Novolog coverage. You surely are well taught and well coached. If you really must have some energy booster, a top-choice and safe energy drink is the V-8 Fusion Energy Drink. This drink is much safer and more natural than others. Contains NO extra sugar or fructose. Use this for those crammed days with good judgement --also - exercise and good sleep are essential for higher energy and productivity. Be sure you exercise daily at a regular time. You may follow up with me for further discussion - thanks and all the best....
1 UpVoted this answer Compass Clinic - Dallas Addiction Medicine, Lewisville
No, I would not risk it. Besides staying up all night and studying does NOT help you perform better on tests. It has the opposite effect. A better strategy would be use a standing desk to stay awake and focused, and then sleep when your body needs it.

Best of luck with the tests!
Most energy drinks have a lot of caffeine so if caffeine does not work for you then this will not work.
Euton Laing
Most energy drinks rely on caffeine, caffeine containing guarana, and sugar or high fructose corn syrup to pick you up. Since you are diabetic and have issues with caffeine, you should stay away from energy drinks.
Energy drinks are a camouflage of high dose caffeine and sugar, both are bad for you and may cause high blood pressure, high sugar and irregular heart beat, some documented seizure disorder were also manifestation of high caffeine intake from energy drinks,

the answer to your question yes it will severely affect you and even disturb your sleep so avoid those drinks by all mean

I studied all my life from school to college and med school and never used any energy drink or even coffee, it is all about organisation and perseverance
Bassam Yassine
Energy drinks are notorious for containing enough caffeine to make your heart beat too fast or even fibrillate. So, if regular coffee is not your friend, then energy drink will be too dangerous for you. With regards to your type one diabetes, caffeine will create some resistance for your insulin or even raise your blood sugar beyond normal. Power naps can help you better with your studies than coffee. Good luck.