All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Wake me up? To drink water?

If someone has a UTI and is on antibiotics is it a good or bad idea to wake them up several times at night to drink water? Thank you for your help!
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 3 days
  • Medications: antibiotic

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

4 UpVoted this answer Sreeram Gonnalagadda, MD Family Medicine, Plano Abdul-Rahman Babeir, MD Urologist, Boston Jody Stubler Family Practitioner, Salt Lake City
If you are taking an appropriate antibiotic you do not have to be awakened to drink water, but you do need to hydrate during the day.
2 UpVoted this answer Sreeram Gonnalagadda, MD Family Medicine, Plano
Although drinking lots of water can help flush away the bacteria, you do not need to wake up to drink so much water at night.
James J. Elist
1 UpVoted this answer
Drinking plenty of water by a patient who has a urine infection is a good idea since it keeps the patient well hydrated and washes out the bladder from infected urine and debris. Hydration should be done throughout the day. I don't recommend waking up someone just to drink water. If the patient is having signs of dehydration such as feeling dizzy or voiding small amounts of urine, then he/she should consider visiting the emergency.
Abdul-Rahman Babeir
1 UpVoted this answer
Let them sleep! One can drink enough during the normal 16 hour waking day.
William Livingston
1 UpVoted this answer
Wake me up --- NO

Awake hydration, cranberry pills , avoiding caffeine and spicy foods are all good ideas. Enjoy your rest it is key to healing quicker.
Aaron Grotas
1 UpVoted this answer
If somebody has a UTI and is on an antibiotic that should be enough treatment for overnight. During the day I would recommend to increase water / take to improve the flushing out the irritants out such that the symptoms get better faster. So waking up several times at night to drink water has no evidence behind it saying that it is beneficial. And because of that I would say no need to wake up.I would say completing the full course of antibiotic and taking antibiotic with food will be beneficial. Also eating yogurt while on antibiotics will decrease the risk of getting loose bowel movements.

Get well soon
It is a very good idea
Farid S Haddad
No you don't need to wake up at night to drink water, however you do need to hydrate yourself by drinking lots of water while you are awake ( During the day) to help flush your urinary system.
No need to do so. Drink to level of thirst quench, just want to avoid dehydration. Excess water drinking can be as deleterious as dehydration. The antibiotics should do the trick! If not recheck with the doctor as some bacteria are resistant to the antibiotics typically used for bladder infections.
John S. Ferris
Probably doesn't make a difference. Drink to the level of thirst. Dr. Lynes
William Lynes