All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Bumps due to oral thrush

I have oral thrush due some antibiotics I was taking.I have been applying gentian violet for about a day and it seems to have solved the white matter on my tongue but I have a large amount of different sized bumps on the back of my tongue that extend down my throat,not on my throat but my tongue.Also one of my tonsils is swollen.Bumps are not painful and there is no white "cream or pus" but I'm concerned at the number and varying size.Continue to apply gv or is it just irritation/inflammation?
Poster
  • Female | 21 years old
  • Complaint duration: 4 days
  • Medications: Gentian violet
  • Conditions: Was taking antibiotics

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
You are probably looking at taste buds which can be quite large. I advice you to check with your doctor about the tonsils. Candida infection in the mouth is very resilient and needs aggressive treatment. Myconazole troches are much more effective that nystatin. Have a dentist prescribe that medicine and monitor healing.

Peter Merai DDS, FAGD.
Probably saliva glands or sour taste buds. Circumvalate pappilae, Thrush resolves if diagnosed with Nyostatin pastilles meds you can get from your dentist. You maybe more concerned, because of your condition. Continue your swabbing but make sometime to see your dentist.
Daniel G. Sena
Although you could possibly develop thrush from long term use of certain antibiotics, what you are likely seeing are your circumvallate pappilae (taste buds), located near the back of your tongue. You should see your dentist for proper diagnosis and management if there is a condition.
J Abe Smith
You should visit an oral health care provider for an accurate diagnosis. These bumps you are describing are called circumvallate papillae and this is normal tongue anatomy. Circumvallate papillae are accessory taste buds in the mouth. If for some reason these become inflamed (spicy food, inflammatory response to using a medication or topical mouth gel). Call your oral health care provider and make an appointment, stop using the gentian violet until you see someone just as a precaution. You don't want to make this situation worse and be forced to use another medication.
Seems to be normal tongue anatomy. The bumps that you are describing sound like circumvalate papillae.
I would continue the gentian violet but suggest that you contact your dentist or physician. Thrush can sometimes become quite resistant to treatment. Self treatment can make complete recovery harder. The sooner that you get professional advice the better.
Timothy Agapas
That sounds like the vallate papillae. You can do a google search to see what they look like. They're completely normal, you probably just didn't see them before you started to pay attention to details in your mouth!
Elizabeth Reiser-Loeber
Gentian violet can kill bacteria and fungus and can be used orally to treat thrush. However it is always best to see a healthcare provider for an accurate diagnosis. The bumps that you see on your tongue may be the normal tongue anatomy. There are normally bumps in the back of the tongue but the only way to know for certain about your specific concern is to see a dentist and have this checked.
Very often an unusual occurrence that draws your attention to an area that you may not usually examine closely....suddenly you notice something that has always been there. What you are likely noticing is normal tongue anatomy. The surface of the tongue is covered by different sized papillae or taste buds. The thrush may have caused then to become inflamed and more noticeable. Visit your dentist and have him/her take a 30 second look just to make sure.
Ethan J. Yoza
First I would recommend you see a dentist right away to get a accurate diagnosis of your condition.

If it is thrush, medications like Mycelex Troche or Nystatin Tablets should help. The bumps on the back of the tongue are likely normal papillae but again ask your dentist when you see him/her. Good luck.