All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Would they check for HIV?

I went into urgent care the other day with the worst flu I have ever had. I have always been afraid of AIDS, when I gave them my blood and urin sample, would they have checked to see if I was HIV positive?
Poster
  • Female | 23 years old
  • Complaint duration: 3 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Compass Clinic - Dallas Addiction Medicine, Lewisville
No, they would not check for HIV without discussing it with you. That being said, we recommend that EVERYONE get tested. So, please talk to your doctor and get tested. They may not even need to draw any more blood!

Best of luck!
1 UpVoted this answer Sreeram Gonnalagadda, MD Family Medicine, Plano
HIV is not tested as a routine. It could be tested in people with highrisk and because it takes around 20 dyas to appear in blood after exposure with unprotected sex , the CDC recommends checking after six months of possible exposure
NO! It will be discussed with you prior to testing. However, it is wise to have this test on an annual basis.
No direct test would be done, though there could be changes in white cell count that might suggest a viral infection it cannot typically be attributable ato the HIV virus as can be lots of other possibilities. If you have any risk factors for HIV then testing should be done. I personally don't agree enthusiastically with EVERYONE getting tested, if one looks at the economics behind any "test all" phenomenon the devil often is in the details. More cases are likely prevented with targeted populations, so needle exchanges for IV drug users and condoms given to sex trade workers ect...
Raymond Rowell
The tests that would be conducted with your blood and urine samples will not be decided solely on the basis of your flu symptoms. There has to be history of risky life style and possible exposure to potential or diagnosed HIV patient, accidental inoculation with contaminated needle. At the end of the consult, you will be told exactly what you will be tested for to rule out or rule in a set of differential diagnoses. Your blood will not be tested for any condition you have not been made aware of, or to which you have not given consent. A simple phone call to the urgent care provider will clear any doubts about what you are being tested for.
HIV is not a routine test. That being said, they probably had done a CBC-complete blood count- which could pickup the effects of having the HIV in your system. It is not a good test for diagnosis though.

If you had unprotected sex, this could be reason for your insurance yo cover the test.

You should go get an annual exam done and talk with you doctor regarding all the thoughts/questions you want answered. Sort of a screening exam with test for your general wellbeing.

Good luck