All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

reason and treatment

My mom has showed some recent symptoms and I need help. The symptoms include: weight loss, goiter, high sugar as she is diabetic, high triglycerides, and when you press her heel skin it goes inwards and slowly comes out, tremors and glucose in urinary. These are from the last 2-3 months. She was treated with pancreatitis in 2009.
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Medications: 2-3 months
  • Conditions: Diabetic

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

5 UpVoted this answer Sreeram Gonnalagadda, MD Family Medicine, Plano Bradford L Romans M D, P A, M. D., Doctor of Medicine Primary Care Physician, dallas
Your mother needs a thorough medical exam and lab analysis to determine what is happening to her. It sounds like she is out of control in regards her diabetes, and the heel skin issue indicates she has edema or too much fluid on board which can be a sign of heart issues, kidney problem, liver disease or blood clots and vein issues. Too many possibilities to be addressed without a full exam by a doctor. Please have her evaluated as soon as practical.

Best wishes for better health!
John S. Ferris
2 UpVoted this answer Bradford L Romans M D, P A, M. D., Doctor of Medicine Primary Care Physician, dallas
This is somewhat complicated, but it sounds like there are multiple systems in play here, and I do NOT have all the information that I need to put this all together. However, that being said, for a diabetic it is NOT unusual to fine glucose in the urine, this happens usually when the blood sugar reaches around 185-200, often called the Splay Effect. If you mother is on Insulin, then it is possible that the "tremors" may occur when her blood sugar drops rapidly below 60, sometimes not even that high. It is also possible that you mother may have other metabolic and/or neurological etiologies/causes for the tremor. Pedal Edema (swelling of lower extremity) can be cause from kidney issues, as well as heart issues, both common in diabetics, or just a local concern such as a sedentary life style. The history of Pancreatitis, may play a role in whether you mother is able to produce her own insulin or not, a C-Peptide will help delineate this. Bottom line, you mother needs to be evaluated by her physician.
2 UpVoted this answer Bradford L Romans M D, P A, M. D., Doctor of Medicine Primary Care Physician, dallas
I agree with the doc below. Your mother has neglected her health for a long long time, it seems. She is probably deficient in iodine, which comes from seaweed and seafood, which is why she has a goiter. Her diabetes may be causing the weight loss. She needs to be evaluated to make sure her sugar is not too high, as this can be fatal.
All of the comments are very valid. No one can diagnosis your Mom off a few sentences off the internet - Please get her in to see someone - whatever advice you and she felt makes the most sense.

www.discoverhealth.us
2 UpVoted this answer Today Clinic - OKC Central Family Medicine, Oklahoma City
You are right to be concerned! She needs to see her doctor today and get her diabetes under control. In trying to motivate her to get her health issues addressed, I would remind her how important she is to you and that you really care about her being healthy.

Best of luck!
1 UpVoted this answer
Poorly controlled Diabetes can cause elevated Triglycerides,which can provoke an episode of Pancreatitis.The presence of a Goiter requires a Thyroid work up.The skin "pitting" could be related to the above medical problems and may indicate too much or too little bodily fluids.She needs a good Internist to identify and treat these serious health problems,urgently.
Bradford L Romans M D, P A
1 UpVoted this answer
definately diabetic and probably thyroid storm, unlikely but could be cancer (cachexia)

tradition MDs do NOT have a good solution to chronic and lifestyle problems. Aside from a possible Hashimotos sysndriome, which would require a good endocrinologist; you really need to sendyour mother to a good FM Doctor.

learn more here:

http://orangeparkchiropractor.com/functional-medicine/

www.discoverhealth.us
Agreed the symptoms are two nonspecific and there's a patient that the diabetes is out-of-control or not in good control. This'll often correlates with some other type of illness going on concomitantly or as was mentioned low insulin output from the pancreas along with whatever else is happening. Go check it out
Raymond Rowell
As an answer to your second question (What might it be?)... I am worried that her glucose is sky high. That would explain the sugar in the urine, the weight loss, and the dehydration (the reason her heel acts like that). I would also be concerned about alcohol use and her psychological health. With anyone who lets themselves go like this, I'd be concerned about depression.
Your mom need a complete evaluation not only her diabetes is out of control but is damiging other important organes like the heart, the kidney, and the goiter is not helping.

a visit to the doctor is mandatory before serious complications and probably life threatening happens
Bassam Yassine