All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Achey hands

My first 3 fingers on both hands feel jammed. Am I ok?
Poster
  • Female | 25 years old
  • Medications: Citroprolam , birth control
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Today Clinic - Lewisville Family Medicine, Lewisville
Yes, you are ok. But, this is an unusual to have this feeling, especially in both hands. I would discuss with your doctor, and agree bilateral carpal tunnel would be likely. This can rarely also suggest other things such as diabetes, thyroid problems, pregnancy, etc. Most likely, though, you might benefit just wearing wrist splints at night.

Best of luck!
1 UpVoted this answer
Dr Mass, is correct. The thumb, index, middle and part of the ring fingers are territory of the median nerve. The nerve involved in Carpal tunnel syndrome. Having feeling of tightness, swelling, stiffness, aching, numbness, pressure ets on these fingers, without apparent reason, such as resent trauma, suggests you nerve is acting out. Frequently the symptoms will get worse and wake you up ant night and or exacerbate while driving, or any activities that involve prolong hold/grip or repetitive wrist motion.

I hope this helps !
Andres Lerner
1 UpVoted this answer
This could be carpal tunnel syndrome. See a hand surgeon.
Daniel Mass
I agree with below it is an unusual distribution just to be in the first three fingers and on both sides
Raymond Rowell
The fact that it involves the first three fingers suggests carpel tunnel syndrome. It is not uncommon to have it in both hands. I would discuss with your doctor.

Best of luck!
I read the comments made by collegues and I resent the disconnect between Chiropracters and Mds

it is shamefull to see such educated individuals trying to alienate patients from one another, this is in contradiction with the intrinsec values of medicine, we aim to provide comfort and heal not to be very opiniated and territorial
Bassam Yassine
Not enough info.

I would start with a Chiropractor who does ART (active release technique) He/She will be able to ascertain whether or not you should be refered to an Orthopedist.

Your lack of details in your description seem to indicate problem is not very severe (no radiculapathy = nerve pain = tingleing, numbness).

Definitely skip the traditional MD till evaluation of ART Chiropractor is complete. I wouldn't want you to suffer needlessly by a more aggressive/invasive treatment (like surgery)
Hello Achey,

When I first read your question, I didn't think you needed another hand doctor's opinion. But wanted to be sure you considered that if your symptoms in some way are making you feel like you are not "ok" it might be best for you to see your primary doctor. Otherwise, a physical "jammed feeling" of your fingers would best be evaluated by a hand, orthopedic or physical medicine doctor. Without actual evaluation the jammed feeling could be many things and any well meaning opinion is just a guess.

That being said, I generally agree with my previous medical colleagues regarding the symptoms associated with the condition called carpal tunnel syndrome. Given your situation, it is notable that nerve affects and fluid retention from medication could also be at work. Activity level and activities as well as posture and wrist position with work, play or when caring for others can also affect your hands.

By way of additional education, the distribution of the C6 nerve is typically to the first two, not three fingers, so it is unlikely that this is the source of your problem. Therefore, despite a Naturopath's suggestion, it is unlikely that Chiropractic maneuvers will help your fingers.

Best of luck and kindest regards,

Greg B.
If you are count your thumb and the next 2 and a half fingers then I would say most likely you are experiencing symptom of median nerve entrapment, often referred to as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. At your age, it is probably from repetitive movement/activity of the wrists, and/or the way you sleep. Do you awaken in the middle of the night with the pain, and/or is it worse in the morning when you awaken? Regardless, you need to see a physician and have a Nerve Conduction Velocity study performed.
The first three fingers get their nerves from the 6th vertebra in the neck. So, you likely need an adjustment from a chiropractor that will fix this quickly. Medical doctors can recommend drugs or surgery, but they don't know how to put the bone back. See your local chiropractor or Naturopath.