All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

My mom might have cancer.

My mom about a week or two ago, started getting these tender lumps on her neck right below the ear. She tells me that it is very painful for her to turn her head. She is forming them on her scalp behind her head and underneath her jaw on her neck. I am very worried. Is it infection or cancer?
Poster
  • Female | 19 years old
  • Complaint duration: 20 days
  • Medications: Pain killers, ibuprofen
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Today Clinic - OKC West Family Medicine, Oklahoma City
Wow, the thought of your mom having cancer must be terrifying. But, I think you can relax. This does not sound like cancer. Infection is a possibility. She should see her doctor, and you should give her a big hug and tell her everyday how much she means to you!

Best of luck!

PS. Please be careful with pain killers. They can be a deadly trap for many people.
1 UpVoted this answer
It sounds more like infection than cancer, but a fine needle aspiration of one or more of these tender lumps would be simple and answer the question definitively.
Stan G. Eilers
It would be very unlikely that cancer would come up that quickly and in more than one lymph node. It's some sort of immunological reaction there could be infection associated with it but cancer doubtful. If the notes don't go away they should be evaluated as typically
Raymond Rowell
That is such a relief. Thanks for the update. Happy holidays to you too!
It is most likely infection.
Lei Liu
It could also be erythema nodosum, a tender skin condition associated with problems in the immune system. But the only way to know is to get a skin biopsy of one of the sites. The biopsy sample should be sent for cytology / histology as well as bacterial / viral culture, cell count, and peripheral smear, in addition to any other test that the surgeon or dermatologist (performing the biopsy) would think of.
Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
The most possibility is infection, however, pathology is the final decision.
Zhen Wang
My mistake, it does 'not' involve with shingles.
Poster
Thank you to all of you! We just found out yesterday that it was shingles but there is one lump that does involve with shingles. She has to go back to the doctors office in two weeks to get it checked out. Hopefully it's nothing serious! Happy Holidays!
Poster
See a doctor for the proper diagnosis and possible drainage with antibiotics. Also find out why she is on pain killers and explore ways to stay safe regarding them.