All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Consipation

What is safe to give my son who is 3 months old for constipation. He is very uncomfortable and cranky.
Poster
  • Female | 27 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Buffalo Lake Medical Primary Care Practice, Sanford
For a 3 month old infant, you need to make sure there is an adequate amount of feeding first. The constipation by definition is referring to the "Consistency" of the Bowel movements not the frequency. Babies don't have abdominal muscles, so they have to push really hard to pass a stool. As long as the stools are not formed/hard and there is no blood int he stool, there is not much to worry about.

If you are formula feeding the baby, there are other formulas that may be better tolerated.

Speak to your pediatrician about more solutions.
1 UpVoted this answer Buffalo Lake Medical Primary Care Practice, Sanford
Constipation is one of those terms which requires defining. I consider constipation, at 3 months of age, to be stools which are too hard (like clay or even formed) or stools which require too much effort to be excreted. As far as effort is concerned, it is normal for your son to grunt and groan, have his face turn red etc. while stooling It is not normal to hear him scream or cry for a lengthy period to expel the stool. Please notice in my definition that I did not mention the time duration between stools. Some children will stool every feeding and others once every 3 days. They both can be normal. So I look at effort and consistency of the stool.

Assuming by that definition your child is constipated (stool too firm or too much effort required) at his age I would start with 2 tsp of Dark (or Light) Karo syrup in 2 tsp of water, two times a day for 2-3 days. If that didn't do the trick, I would give 3 ounces of prune juice a day for 2-3 days. If that didn't work, it is time to see your doctor.

Prune juice comes in two forms: prune-apple juice for babies and straight prune juice. If you use the prune-apple, please be aware that the apple can help or hinder the constipation. So if not improving after 3 days, consider using the straight prune juice.

Some babies don't like the strong flavor of prune juice. You can mix it 50/50 with water or 7-Up/Sprite. It tastes more like Dr. Pepper. That would be 3 oz of prune juice with 3 oz of water or other, once a day for 2-3 days.
Try slipper elm powder. Mix 1 tsp in a cup of lukewarm water. Feed a tsp of it to him (you can mix it with juice if necessary). You can repeat in about an hour, but the mixture will get very thick and slimy the longer it sits.

The purpose is to help lubricate the stool so that it can pass.
You can add a teaspoonful of white Karo syrup to a couple of his bottles every day.
Azra Sheriff
Iron sulfate (iron drops) may often casuse constipation.

If he does not take take it make sure he drinks enough water.

If he does, fennel or melissa tea instead of water may help with no side effects
Sergei Shushunov
High fiber vegetables like celery or lettuce - roughage.

www.discoverhealth.us