All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Nonstop period due to antibiotics messing with Nexplanon?

I'm 21 and never been pregnant. I've been on Nexplanon for a few months now and it's been great. Little to no period, no cramps at all.

But I got a bladder infection at the end of last month and was put on antibiotics. The day I started the antibiotic, I started a heavy period that lasted days after I stopped taking the antibiotics a week later. It came back two weeks ago and has been lightly ongoing, and just became very heavy yesterday.

What's going on? Is it going to stop?
Poster
  • Female | 21 years old
  • Complaint duration: 30 days
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 62
  • Weight: 90lbs
  • Medications: Adderall, Ativan, Nexplanon
  • Conditions: Anemia
  • Hospitalizations: Kidney infection

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
First since you were on antibiotics - DO a pregnancy test - just to be sure, especially if you have been sexually active.

Sometimes if NOT pregnant and you are still bleeding - going on a birth control PILL for a month (and yes okay to do with the Nexplanon) should stop this bleeding.
Brad Douglas
It is not uncommon at all to have spotting & bleeding while on then explain. You have not had it in very long so it's expected to have irregular bleeding- I usually tell my patients to expect it at least for the first 3-6+ months. There are a few things you can try if it continues you may want to be seen if it continues.
Michelle Rhude
Unfortunately I do not think this problem is from the antibiotics. Nexplanon is a great form of birth control but sadly in many women the bleeding profile is horrible, similar to what you are describing. I would try to hang in there a little longer to see if the bleeding improves spontaneously, because that can happen. If however the bleeding does not improve I would recommend removing the Nexplanon and trying a different form of birth control. Good luck.