All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Leg cast has maggots inside and very bad smell - what's happening?

Hello,

I am very concerned about this. I have a friend from school that is wearing a leg cast for around three months now. He wears a black garbage bag over it.

However, I saw him take his bag off and I noticed that his cast was very dirty. The smell was horrible. I also saw maggots inside the bag and on his toes, apparently they come from inside the cast. The smell was really bad and the cast looks very worn.

He says it's all normal, but could it really be and what's wrong? What can I do?
Poster
  • Male | 19 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Sreeram Gonnalagadda, MD Family Medicine, Plano Today Clinic - OKC West Family Medicine, Oklahoma City
That does not sound normal to me. He needs to see his doctor today. As a friend, you could help him get there.

Best of luck!
1 UpVoted this answer Sreeram Gonnalagadda, MD Family Medicine, Plano
This is definitely not normal. He needs to follow up with his provider.
1 UpVoted this answer Today Clinic - Lawton Family Medicine, Lawton
Leg casts usually stay on anywhere from 3-4 months. occasionally some being longer.

If the cast gets damp/ dirty/ especially if there are maggots observed - it needs to be replaced.

Only place maggots have in current day medicine - is for wound care, that too only when used by a licensed professional.

I agree with your concern. Maggots are not a good sign.

He needs to be seen by his doc ASAP.
I am certain this is very distressing to you. The odor is not that usual when a cast has been placed for a prolonged period, and I agree with all the other consultants that this cast needs to be replaced. The maggots imply there is dead tissue of some kind present--maggots do not consume healthy or viable tissue. Most likely they are taking advantage of layers of cast off skin cells which are accumulating because the cast creates a trap for the cast off cells. But it is very important that this cast be removed and the leg examined for possible tissue breakdown, or an open wound. While the cast is off, the leg should be carefully cleaned as well. Tell your friend to see his orthopedist pronto! And good luck to him!
John G. Van Derwood
Perhaps it is just me, but I think a cast that fits this description should be taken off and re-placed--with checking the tissue underneath during the process. Your friend should be able to see the orthopedic office and they should do this.
Hal Blatman
Maggots can be artificially made by tatoo artist to scare people, so make sure what see is real, if that is the case, and the bad smell should warrant replacement of the cast by a professional
Bassam Yassine
easy and necesary to cut, recast, at MD's office

www.discoverhealth.us