All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Brooken teeth

Hello, I have several brooken teeth that are now turning black. I brush, floss and use mouth washes. Why are they doing this and can it really clause heart and blood issues?
Poster
  • Female | 30 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
It sounds like your broken teeth are decaying. You should see a dentist as soon as possible. My guess is that the teeth decayed first, which weakened the structure of the tooth. Then broke when you bit down on something. It could even have been something soft. A decayed or broken tooth should not be left untreated. It will become infected. The infection can spread through your blood stream and make you very sick. People have even died from infected teeth. I repeat go see a dentist as soon as possible. The sooner these teeth are treated the better chance of saving the teeth and the less chance of additional health problems.
Michael Stein
1 UpVoted this answer
Hello and thank you for the inquiry! Breaking and discoloration in the teeth is a sign of worsening cavities and infection in the pulp of the tooth which can then travel to the jawbones where it often causes pain and swelling. The bacteria do cause increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke, and this damage is not reversible by brushing and flossing. I recommend finding a dentist you trust and are comfortable with to help you resolve this and restore your teeth.
The teeth maybe decaying causing a black appearance. We have to be careful with oral infections. There has been a link between the bacteria in the mouth and the heart. Hence the saying healthy mouth- healthy body
Broken tooth or teeth turning to dark black color is usually due to deep cavities, The deep cavities can infect the nerve of your teeth and also the gums surrounding your tooth, in which if not treated can get to your blood stream, causing host of systemic problems. See an expert dentist to save your teeth, and start practicing prevention after!

If I were you I would see a top dentist for advise, hopefully your teeth can be saved, rather than extraction or dental implants.
It sounds like you are suffering from severe decay, which can explain the weakening of tooth structure resulting in fractures, as well as the discoloration. Once the decay has set in, the highly recommended preventive measures like brushing and flossing will not correct the condition, which requires dental evaluation and treatment. This should be done as soon as possible, as it can proceed even faster once it reaches this point. Please go see your dentist; she or he will be anxious to help you!
Stephen Henry
With the information you have supplied (question and updated response), it sounds as if you might have a genetic abnormality with some type of tooth structure. This is common if it runs if family members also have this issue. Do you drink well water or city water? Fluoridation is commonly found in city water. Heart and blood issues are related to periodontal infections (periodontal disease) and infectious issues are normally due to abscesses due to dying/dead teeth. If the teeth in the back of your mouth started breaking down in your teenage years, and now only the remaining teeth left are closer to the front of your mouth, this is commonly a size of tooth structure defect. Yes can have cavities if your teeth are turning black but it can be arrested cavities (a cavity started but didn't progress). I would suggest finding a dentist in your community or finding a dental school close to your proximity.
Thank you all for your responses.

I know that brushing will not make it go away. That would be a silly thing to think. I just wanted to make a note that I do brush, floss, etc. I use to do so 15+ times a day before teeth started breaking down to 3/4 now. I have 11 and 6 are fully to the gum when they broke others are halved or just oddly broken. They don't hurt or really give me trouble. 8 of the 11 have been broken for just over 8 years. I grid my teeth, when I was able to go to a dentist I was given a mouth piece which I broke in my sleep and had to get pieces pulled out of my mouth. I am 28 but am luckier than some in my family whom have less or no teeth since their teens. Thank you all again for your time.
Poster
Teeth that are turning black most likely indicate ongoing tooth decay. Now that the softer parts of the tooth are exposed it is not possible to prevent it from getting worse without seeing a dentist and having a filling placed. It is also very likely that if left long enough that they will get infected requiring root canal treatment or even dental extractions. There is increasing evidence that tooth disease is linked to general health problems including cardiac issues. Please see a dentist as soon as possible.
Timothy Agapas
The black on your teeth is decay. Cavities/decay turn from yellow to brown to black as it continues to develop for a long period of time. Decay is caused by bacteria that is already in the oral cavity that feeds itself from remnants of sugar and carbohydrates that we consume on a daily basis.The lack of regular brushing and floossing would allow the bacteria to continue to grow to a level that is harmful to your health. Depending were the decay first develop in your mouth and its proximity to the sinus, it could become very sirius if bacteria invades the brain. you can also develop Bacterimia which refers to bacteria in your blood stream and of course once in your blood stream you could develop infections that would affect vital organs in your body, the Heart been the most commonly affected.
Jenny Nunez-Davenport
You don't mention having pain. But if you wait long enough, these teeth will start to hurt. Pain is often a motivating factor for getting obvious, yet untreated, dental problems taken care of. Don't wait! Get it together and seek some good dental care.
Jack Binder