All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Tongue sores

I brush my teeth very frequently and have through my whole life along with mouthwash. Yet I get tongue sores to the point when there isn't many time I don't have one. Is it a vitamin deficiency or what?
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 90 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Vasant Ramlaggan, D.D.S., H.B.Sc. Dentist, Toronto
Tongue sores, also known as canker sores or apthous ulcers can be caused by a variety of different factors.

It can be caused by a sensitivity to certain foods, impaired immune function, nutritional deficiency such as Vitamin B12, zinc, folic acid, or iron. Other causes may be gastrointestinal disease such as Celiac or Crohn's.

Many toothpastes and mouthwashes contain an additive called sodium lauryl sulfate which can cause mouth sores if you are sensitive to it. Since your condition is ongoing I would suggest seeing your primary care doctor or integrative physician for testing of any underlying problems as well as your dentist for evaluation.
Are you anemic? Aphthous ulcers can form if your diet lacking sufficient vitamin B-12, zinc, iron or folic acid, another name for vitamin B-9. Iron deficiency can develop an inflamed, sore, and swollen tongue. The tongue visually with look pale and smooth due to low levels of hemoglobin in the blood. The loss of small finger-like projections (papillae) on the surface of the tongue. Sore and swollen tongue can develop problems such as chewing, swallowing, speaking, or in some cases constant pain. You might want to do two things, consult your primary care physician, and ask to have blood work done. Or visit your oral health care provider and ask them to order you blood work to check for this. Either way you need to have this look at to determine if it a systemic issue or an external factor (toothpaste related) oral issue. Hope you get this issue taken care of.
I would like to see a pic of what you are talking about. Send a few to my cell at 301-367-8268. You didn't describe any symptoms. Are they painful? Small and yellow in color? White or clear? Appear as a bump or depression? How long do the last?

In the meantime stop the mouthwash, Use a gentle tooth paste like regular colgate or regular crest. If you are in Oxon Hill MD stop by for a complimentary consultation. Hope this helps.

Peter Merai DDS, FAGD
The type of sore depends on the location. Some can involve the top surface of the tongue which is the rougher surface due to the taste buds present there. More often the sores are on the undersurface, which is smooth, and have a very recognizable appearance making the diagnosis of aphthous ulcers, commonly called canker sores, very easy. There are a number of alleged causes of canker sores, which are very painful, and in spite of being very common, are poorly understood, so we just don't know for sure what each individual case is due to. Some patients are very sensitive to an ingredient in many toothpastes called sodium lauryl sulfate, which can be avoided by carefully reading the list of ingredients or by inquiring with pharmacy staff. I have had several patients manage this condition in this manner. If it is an aphthous ulcer, your dentist may have a medicament on hand that can reduce the pain and speed the healing. We use one of our diode lasers to achieve the same thing very quickly & simply.
Stephen Henry
Due to your frequency of brushing, discontinue use of all toothpastes (use only baking soda) and rinses for a couple of weeks and see if the sores go away. If not, then have your dentist look at them and see a physician for possible other causes that previous practitioners on this site have mentioned.
Renae Roelofs
Hi there. It can be a vitamin deficiency or it can be many other things. I would recommend you see your dentist right away to get it evaluated so a better diagnosis can be made. In the meantime, try to stop using your mouthwash and see it the sores go away.
If you have been getting these sores for years in could be a systemic problem. It could be a common canker sore or aphtous ulcser, the cause of aphtous ulcers are unknown, some things that could contribute to the problem are; Lack of vitamin b, and c, specifically b12 helps! GI track diseases such as Crohns disease: Auto immune diseases could contribute; allergies or sensitivity to the ingredients of your mouth wash or toothpaste; stress,sun and lack of sleep. For GI problems or allergies, you may want to consult your primary physician.
James Snow
tongue sores can be occurring due to harsh use of tongue cleaner, or tooth brush also known as aphtous ulcers, or canker sores, in which kenalog in orabase prescription can help heal the sore.

the cause of aphtous ulcers are unknown, some contributory factors are:

1-Lack of vitamin b, and c, specifically b12 helps

2- Gi track diseases such as Crohns disease

3- Auto immune diseases

4- allergies or sensitivity to the ingredients of your mouth wash or tooth paste, in which it is best to see your MD physician to rule out sensitivity

5- stress and lack of sleep

Leave the sore area alone, and do not agitate the sore to get to a wound, use non alcoholic mouth rinses, or saline warm water to rinse.
I don't think your issue is from a vitamins or mineral deficiencies. I believe they are cranker sores from chemicals in your toothpaste or mouthwash. Infections can occur from these sores over time.
May be you are traumatising your tongue with the Tooth brush. You should buy a tongue blade to scrap your Tongue gently . You may try none alcohol mouth wash and still if it does not disappear , see your favorite

Dentist .
Binod K. Verma