All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

why is my toe like this

my toe is red, swollen and hard to touch. also if anything touches it well it hurts, why?
Poster
  • 19 years old
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 5,2
  • Weight: 97lbs
  • Medications: i used ice
  • Conditions: redness, pain, swollen and hard

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Seth Steber, DPM Podiatrist, Carlisle
Without any injury there could be a couple of possibilities. At your age, infection is the most likely and you should see a podiatrist or your medical doctor as soon as possible. Another possibility is gout although that is fairly rare in someone your age. Please seek attention for this matter.
the nerves are irritated
Red means danger, therefore you should seek professional appropriate care from a certified podiatrist in your area
Alex Kheynson
Impossible to know with limited information provided. I would imagine it is due to infection or possibly gout. It would be a good idea to see a podiatrist quickly for evaluation and treatment
Jerald Askin
Its impossible to tell without a picture or exam or history. where is it red and swollen around the nail or at the joint.How long has it been red and swollen? Was there any trauma or injury or bathroom surgery? See your local podiatrist soon. Good luck.
Flavio Cordano
It is very challenging to make a diagnosis without seeing the toe directly or at least more information. If the redness and swelling is at one or more edges of the toenail, then it probably is an ingrown nail. Typically, this is more of an inflammation due to the nail edge being imbedded in the skin, but there may be a secondary infection. You did not mention as to whether or not there was an injury, so a fracture or sprain cannot be excluded. If the redness and swelling is around one of the joints, then conditions such as gout or an infection in a joint are possibilities. Either way, seek care from a podiatrist as soon as you can to be sure the problem does not worsen as well as to get some relief from the pain.
Palmer Branch
There are several things that could cause this. An infection is most likely, but gout, a forgotten injury, or other inflammatory conditions could make it swollen, red, and painful. If this continues more than just a few days, a podiatrist should check it out. It should be relatively easy to figure out the cause and come up with a treatment plan for you.
Richard Eby
I agree with Dr. Steber and others. An infected ingrown nail would be the most likely cause. It's a straight forward, easy correction by a podiatrist.
Jacob Goldstein
Causes of pain, swelling and redness: Fracture/sprain, Gout, infection, superficial thrombophlebitis.

Digital pain that is red hot and swollen can be in ingrown toe nail, but if you don't see the toe nail bending downward (incurvated), then the foot can be sliding in the shoes and hitting the front of the shoe with each step. In this case tightening the shoe laces will alleviate the pain.

Either way, get it looked at by your local podiatrist.
Stanley Beekman
Not much additional to add to the prior comments. I concur with my colleagues. You need to obtain an appropriate evaluation by your local podiatrist.