All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Fluid in my ankle

I hurt my right knee a while back. Since my right knee was injured, my automatically put all my weight onto my left leg. I've been doing it for so long that now I have fluid in my ankle. It's the size of a silver dollar. I asked a Dr if I can have it drained but he rejected because it's small. It hurts when it's cold and it seems like it's growing. I don't want arthritis to go to my ankle. Should I get another doctor's opinion or am I stuck with it?
Poster
  • Female | 25 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Fluid could indicate that a ganglionic cyst has developed or synovitis (inflammation of the sheath that protects the tendon by the ankle), or it could be the start of a fatty (benign) tumor called a lipoma. It is recommended that you get a second opinion and possibly an MRI before any injections or attempts to drain this. A ganglion is usually amenable to drainage, but other conditions are not and may cause more harm than good. It is always best to know what is being treated and the cause if possible, before treatment. Again, a second opinion is warranted in this case. Good luck.
Roland Tolliver
There is no relation between fluid and arthritis. No benefit of drainage.
If he thinks there is no fracture within the ankle, a steroid injection into the ankle joint will help much
Liza Alexander
This is difficult to assess, without knowing the location of the swelling, or more of the history. Please seek another opinion.
You should get another opinion. It's unusual to get enough fluid build up within your ankle joint itself to be able to drain it. A localized swelling around your ankle could be a ganglion which is an out pocketing off a tendon or joint.
Thomas R. Komp
It's on the inside of my ankle right by my ankle bone
Poster
I would recommend having another opinion. It may require an injection with an anti-inflammatory medication as well.
If an x-ray has not already been taken, and it bothers you, I think you should seek another opinion.
Richard Eby
By all means seek another opinion
Gary Cramer
I would need to know where in the ankle and what it looks like before commenting.