All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Sharp pain in abdominals

I was in the middle of doing sit ups 2 days ago when I felt a sudden sharp pain in one spot of my abs. I had already done about 37 sit ups when it happened. I am 5'1" and 150 lbs, female. I know I am overweight and that's why I started working out. It does not hurt any other time. Only when I try to do a sit up, or some other exercise that uses that muscle.
Poster
  • Female | 25 years old
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
A question...

-Can you point to the area that hurts with a finger or is it a broader area?

-If you can point to the area with a finger, can you feel a lump or bump under the skin that - when you press on it - recreates the pain?

-What does the pain feel like when you try to do a sit-up now (does it stay in exactly the same location or does the pain radiate/move)?

It is not at all difficulty to strain an abdominal wall muscle. However, it is also possible (and likely) that you have disrupted the fascia (saran wrap like covering over the muscle). A true muscle strain (where you disrupt the muscle fibers) will take some time to heal. However, it is possible to treat and resolve a distortion of the fascia in just a couple minutes in clinic. I recommend you attempt to find a provider - most likely a D.O. - that practices the Fascial Distortion Model (look FDM up on-line). A provider familiar with FDM will not only be able to determine the cause (muscle vs. fascia) and will likely resolve the issue in clinic if it is fascial in nature. Dr. Kryger (below) is spot on... if you feel a lump, it's likely what is known as a "Herniated Trigger Point" (look that up on line as well) within the Fascial Distortion Model.

All the best.
It definitely sounds as if you strained a muscle, but I am not sure what your question might be. If you think it is painful to do a situp, then do not do it. Muscular strains usually heal on their own. If you have developed a hernia then you will find a lump in the area of pain.
That sharp pain is likely a muscle strain. A strain is basically an injury or tear to the muscle. It will heal but you may want to take it easy for a weak. Start back gradually working out the abdominal muscles and don't over do it.Ibuprofen may help with the pain as well