All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Teeth pulling after braces

Why is my orthodontist pulling my teeth after my braces are put on?
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 4 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer David Westerberg, DDS Dentist, Redlands
Some patients require he removal of teeth due to lack of space and long term stability concerns. Typically, a patient/parent has a conference to review all treatment options prior to beginning treatment to ensure the treatment plan is completely understood. I am slightly confused that you seem unaware extractions were necessary. Whether teeth are removed before or after appliances are placed is not an issue. The idea that you are questioning the extractions now indicates some confusion. I suggest you review the treatment plan with your orthodontist simply to ensure everyone understands what the treatment entails.
David M. Konys
There are many reasons to need to have teeth extracted prior too orthodontics or after orthodontic brackets are placed. Sometimes the treatment decision can't be made prior to placing the brackets and that decision needs to made as time goes on. To get the ideal result that your professional oral health care provider is trying to achieve the teeth might need to come out. Obviously any oral health care provider isn't just going to extract teeth if there isn't a concern or reason behind doing so. I would suggest having a meeting with orthodontist about your concerns to make sure you both on the same page about your specific treatment plan.
Great question for your orthodontist. My question is, has treatment started? If not get a second opinion.
Your orthodontist would be best able to answer that question. Make an appointment to sit down and have your treatment plan explained.
Randall D. Stastny
the patient's mouth is comfortable and will remain so during the "braces on" procedure. Not so if it was done soon after the "previously discussed " extraction procedure. Patient comfort is very high on the list! Within a week the wires may be placed and the teeth are "off and running".
Kenneth A. Zipkin
you need to discuss this with your orthodontist. Obviously, NONE of the overall treatment plan (essential for "informed consent") has been discussed, and so "surprises" which this represent, often unnerve patients. Simply put, you need to be back at "square one" before proceeding.
John R. Scuba
Without radiographs and photos, I can't tell you why. There may be too much crowding for braces to work properly or maybe, the orthodontist wanted to get the bands & brackets on prior to extraction so that space closure can be done without delay. It is best to ask your orthodontist to explain, in detail, your treatment. If you don't feel comfortable with extraction, get a second opinion. Once those teeth are extracted, they can't be put back. Which teeth are to be extracted? Bicuspids? 2nd Molars? 3rd Molars? Are the teeth to be extracted permanent or baby teeth? Are you getting head gear? There are just so many questions to be answered before any teeth are extracted.
Louis B. Sachs
It could be a misunderstanding at the to presenting the treatment necessary to correct the malocclusion or misalignment of your teeth, duration and the complexity. The tooth or teeth maybe impacted or their might be periodontal gum conditions that would possibily indicate the tooth or teeth may not be restorable. It is best to talk with your dentist or Orthodontist for an explanation.
Donovan Young
There appears to be a slight misunderstanding.At the time of records the problem list is discussed in detail with the patient including duration of treatment,cost of treatment,possible extractions,prognosis etc.As Orthodontic treatment outcomes can differ with different patients ;revisions to original treatment plan may be required including extraction choices and the timing.
Vinay Jerath
Modern orthodontics have evolved and extractions are extremely rare. If, however, your case is one of those extremely rare cases, extraction after the braces are on can facilitate more efficient movement of the remaining teeth into the desired new location. If you were able to upload your records, I am sure there are enough dentists and orthodontists on this forum to give you a more educated opinion on your particular case. Good luck.