All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Period trubles

Hi doctor, so I'm 15 I haven't had my period in about 10-12 months and I'm concerned. I am over weight. I weigh 200 lbs I weight 180 but out of no where I started gaining so much weight but I do try so hard to eat healthy and work out but the fat doesn't keep off. My mom says the reason I am gaining weight is because I'm missing my period. I don't want to go to a doctor because I don't feel comfortable with him seeing my vagina. I heard birth control can induce my period but please help.
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
You do not mention how tall you are so that I could calculate your BMI ( body mass index) but if you then to be an "apple" shape rather than a pear shape figure....and you are short then YES !! Your elevated BMI would be a factor in your lack of periods, This is called Secondary amenorrhea ....and not uncommon when a patient is over weight.

As long as you have a negative pregnancy test or are not yet sexually active...then a shot of Progesterone in oil 100mg IM ( intramuscular)...would be a way to re-start your cycles without having to do a million dollar work up and may not need to have a pelvic exam...yet !

This condition is called "Hyperestrogenism" caused by your increased body fat producing excess estrogen ( the female hormone). The shot is called a Progesterone Challenge test.

You may have a heavy cycle within 3-7 days or within 25 days. If no cycle after this period of time..then you gynecologist will need to run other test more specific for other less common pathology.such as Polycystic Ovarian disease or thyroid problems.
Joseph A. Pineda
If you like to google, try typing in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. You can educate yourself about the condition, so that you'll be less scared. You probably don't need to have the doctor examine your vagina unless you are sexually active , but you should have some bloodwork. It is important that you start treating this condition NOW because it can have some serious life long consequences. The most important thing you can do is start exercising and working on your weight, and make an appointment with a Board Certified OBGYN or Endocrinologist to accurately diagnose your problem and learn everything you can about it.
Kyle A Baker
You should go to a GYN to get both educated on your condition and to get help. If you do not feel comfortable going to a male doctor there are plenty of excellent female doctors that you can see. Please do not delay you need to get help because your weight will only increase and you risk getting Type 2 diabetes. Good luck
Don't fear going to the doctor.

Best to be seen soon to get

everything back to normal.
Hi There,

I am so sorry that you're skipping menstrual periods. Yes, being overweight can have some influence on skipping periods, but a more important question would be, why is it so hard to lose weight. It would actually be better to look at your whole life, instead of just focusing on the periods. Do you get enough sleep or is it hard to fall asleep or stay asleep or do you sleep too much/tired all the time? Are you constipated? Could your thyroid gland be causing difficulty with your weight? What kind of food do you eat? Do you have lots of leafy greens in salads or do you dislike veggies and fruits?

I think a better question to ask yourself is what would it look like for you to feel good? What would you be willing to do to feel healthy? I'm not talking radical weird weight loss schemes, but your periods sound like the least of your concerns right now. It also depends what your nationality is, as sometimes the race that we are influences our genetics and kind of environment we "bathe" our genes in.

I would ask you to consider some simple things first. Drink about 7-8 glasses of water a day. Start your morning out with 2 glasses, then eat within about an hour of waking up. I'd recommend that you skip breads/carbohydrates and try some good quality protein and good quality fat (yes! eating good fat helps you lose fat, like avocado and salmon and nuts--almonds, cashews), in addition to some yummy steamed or raw veggies! A good multivitamin (like Juice Plus) gives you a lot of nutrients concentrated in a little capsule or chewable dummies.

Try to eat a small amount of protein every 3 hours or so. Try to have a good bowel movement every day. Go for a 20 minute walk every day and take someone with you, like your mom or a sister. Think of 5 things every morning that you are grateful for. It really helps us change our mindset and makes us feel better when we genuinely identify things we are grateful for (even if it sounds stupid, like, "I'm grateful I have two hands to write with, two eyes to see with, etc...).

I'd seek out a doctor in your area that will address you as a whole person, not just as a young lady that presents without periods for many months and is obese. You are a unique, lovely young woman, a special creation of God and you should be treated with dignity and addressed with dignity.

I hope this helps a little...

Dr. K
Dear 18 year old,

I understand how you feel. Your issue is more complex than at first glance. You are not overweight because you are missing your period. Although your weight and your period may be related issues, they may not be interrelated. I suggest you first deal with your concern about your vagina and a male physician. Perhaps the simplest solution is involving a female physician first and let her help you with your weight and your period. You are a young adult now and must take responsibility for taking action to find help, just as you will be responsible to not taking action. I encourage you to find a female physician with whom you can share your concerns and plan together how to improve not just your period and weight, but all of your health and life issues. Good luck to you.
Marc Tanenbaum