All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

What's the best solution to get rid of the dark spots on ankle?

There are a few dark spots on my left ankle. They have developed over the years, most probably due to improper fitting shoes.

They don't hurt but look really bad. I avoid going to events & places like pools & beaches and try to avoid exposing my left ankle by wearing long pants, because I'm really not comfortable with these dark spots. I am 25, normal weight with no medical issues.

Please suggest the best solution to get rid / lighten these spots and bring back normal skin tone?

Thanks!
Poster
  • Male | 25 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: no
  • Conditions: no

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Like mentioned before start with the shoes and then treat the skin with creams and gels that your doctor can recommend for you.
Flavio Cordano
1 UpVoted this answer
These look like pressure slots from chronic irritations. Try moisturizers with maybe some warm water and vinegar compresses. Of they do not lighten seek medical help from a local podiatrist or dermatologist. Best wishes and luck.
Alex Kheynson
1 UpVoted this answer
Remove the irritating factor (shoes) if it is truly from shoe pressure. Try a steroid cream and if does not resolve in 2-4 weeks then see a podiatrist and have the lesions biopsies.
Seth Steber
1 UpVoted this answer
These look like friction related lesions. Remove the friction and they should resolve. You should rehydrate the skin with an emollient.They could also be exzema and might respond to a cortisone cream. But I would have to see them before and biopsy the tissue.
1 UpVoted this answer
I would agree that these skin lesions are mostly likely inflamed skin from shoe irritation. There may be an abnormal boney prominence in the involved areas such as a bone spur on the side of the heel or an accessory bone (extra small bone) in a tendon around the ankle. These could be found with X-rays of the foot and ankle. As mentioned by several other physicians in the list below, first be sure that any readily identifiable issues with shoes are addressed. The possibilities I mentioned above would also explain why these lesions are on one foot, but not the other. Some people also have one leg slightly longer than another (a.k.a. leg length discrepancy) which causes an abnormal position or motion of one foot when walking. Many other skin conditions can also be present and a biopsy of the skin may be indicated. If changing shoes and use of over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream fail, then I would suggest seeing a board-certified podiatrist in your area.
Palmer Branch
1 UpVoted this answer
This area of thickened discolored skin is most likely caused by a mechanical imbalance in the foot causing it to rub against the shoe. Just like skin on the hand hardens and discolors when irritated, the skin on the foot does the same thing. If it was just the shoe itself you would likely have the problem on both feet/ankles. To make the problem stay away you have to find the cause and eliminate it. To get rid of or lessen the changes that have already taken place a 40% urea cream will help soften the skin and using a Retinol product as the skin softens will lessen the discoloration. I like Differin Gel for this purpose. Remember though, to make the problem go away and stay away you have to eliminate the underlying cause, not just treat the symptoms.
Gary Cramer
1 UpVoted this answer
First, the irritant needs to stop. You can try topical Hydrocortisone 1% cream for about 2 weeks.
1 UpVoted this answer
I would see a podiatrist and have a biopsy done. The fact that you have it only on one ankle, and not both, makes me question whether this is just shoe irritation.
Richard Eby
1 UpVoted this answer
Eliminate the shoe irritation and consider a short course of a urea based cream and/or steroid cream. A custom compounded combination cream could be considered. If no prompt improvement, a biopsy would be advised.
1 UpVoted this answer
I agree, first get rid of the shoe gear which is irritating the area so treatments will be long lasting instead of temporary. Keratolytic creams with urea with emollients are a good way to start but need to be used consistently. You may need a steroid cream as well to have the skin fully respond pending your progression. A skin biopsy can be done if the condition is not resolving. The good news is you are young and these areas should respond to consistent treatment.
Joseph Bava