All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

My father

My father is 85 years old, he currently is fighting prancitis in the hospital. Vitals good: no fever or any other terminal illness; blood count went from 20 to 13 and still going down; sugar normal; has oxygen mask on. Should we request a feeding tube to feed him or not? Doctors are saying its a risk. They seem to not want to work. What should I do ? Help please.
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Well..if he is fighting a problem with his pancreas there is a reason to consider a tube feeding...if he is fighting a prostate infection there is no reason to consider tube feedings. So lets assume you are talking about his pancreas it depends on what the cause of the inflamation is....does he have a stone? Is it alcohol related? A feeding tube is not a pleasant experience at all...Your dad should be able to eat and drink enough to support himself and a feeding tube has not been shown to prolong meaningful survival. Please note the meaningful part...Your dads numbers are trending in the right direction..but at his age he could have many complications.....I urge you to focus on your dads quality time...and qualitty of life...prolong the good times as long as possible but lots of procedures and ICU time at his age often adds little but more cost and suffering. You said the doctors seem to not want to work...I ask you to consider that it takes a tremendous amount of training and experience to say...less is more...its very easy to say..do this procedure,....do this scan...add this IV etc...its far more difficult to say lets just wait and see...the younger doctors are all for more action and more procedures...the more experienced know the more is not better...I hope the best your your dad ..get him aggressive physical therapy when he can take. it.
I suspect that you mean pancreatitis. That can be a serious illness to recover from, even in a younger person. I think you should respect your father's wishes and see whether he wants a feeding tube or not. You have not provided enough information about his clinical situation and what the doctors have told you regarding his prognosis. It also would depend on how good his health was before he got sick. If he is 85 and frail, that is a very different situation then this is the first illness he has ever had in his life
Stephen Brenner
Sorry to hear about the illness that your father suffers from . I have no idea what prancitis is but do you mean pancreatitis from alcohol consumption? Ask your father what he wants done. It is his life. This is a difficult situation for an aging parent, but it is basically up to him.