All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

oral surgery

I'm getting oral surgery and I'm on 130mgs of methadone. The doctor knows, but I can't get a straight answer. Should I still go dose before the surgery, since it's liquid or no? And how will the general anaesthesia mix with it?
Poster
  • Female | 23 years old
  • Complaint duration: 8 days
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Weight: 211lbs
  • Medications: Prozac, Penicillin, Ibuprofen, Benadryl
  • Conditions: Opioid Dependency
  • Hospitalizations: Rehab @ BGB, 16days. 4-11-15: Gave birth, in for 3 days.

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer David Westerberg, DDS Dentist, Redlands
Be completely honest with the oral surgeon and anesthesiologist if treating you also. They should guide you in taking meds before surgery. They will make allowance for the meds you take for maintenance. Your rehab councilor will need to know what meds they used and prescribed.
1 UpVoted this answer
Your questions regarding the medications and possible interaction should be answered by the doctor/ anesthesiologist doing the procedure/ anesthesia. If unclear, ask again.
You need to have make sure everyone is on the same page (Oral Surgeon, Anesthesiologist, and rehab doctor). This team/group will get you on the right drug regime to keep safe for any issues. Consulting your rehab doctor about your surgery is where you should start first. Being upfront with all your care providers will help you from relapsing.
Its usually best to confirm with the oral surgeon before treatment. Considering all the medications it is very important to follow the oral surgeons instructions.
Matthew Hamilton
You need to discuss with the surgeon and the anestheologist .I am surprised that you are not getting the answer.In any case you will go through complete assessment before undergoing the surgery.
Vinay Jerath
You should speak with the doctor who is prescribing the methadone for you and tell him/her that you are going to have oral surgery. Then have this doctor eat with the oral surgeon and anestheologist as to what is the best way to treat you both prior and after the procedure since you may be on pain medication following the procedure.
James A. Vito
You need to make sure the oral surgeon is in contact with the doctor prescribing the methadone so they can coordinate your care. Do not get the surgery unless you and your surgeon are 100% clear on on your medical history and treatment going forward. If you have questions about dosages those need to be clarified beforehand for your safety.
Have the oral surgeon to call your doctor and verify that with him, Good luck
Soheir Azer
You must advise your oral surgeon dentist prior to procedure, It will be harder to get you numb due to taking the heavy dose of opioid you are on. I advise having surgery done with anesthesiologist present, and consult with your physician M.D, and think about the pain management after surgery. Best of luck to you.
It is important the you get this clarified before surgery. If they have told you nothing by mouth before the surgery, I'd do that. However, having the opioid dependency will make general anesthesia more difficult and the surgeon may also want to use an anesthesiologist due to that. It is best to clarify this before the day of surgery. The surgeon may also want to talk to your dependency physician too to help with post-operative pain control. It sounds like your questions are important and I hope you can get a plan for this in advance of the surgery. I hope all goes well!