All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Braces making my lisp worse?

I've always had a slight lisp but you couldn't really notice it from my under bite. Yesterday I got braces and I can't pronounce 's' at all. When I get used to the braces will I be able to say the 's' normally or at least with only a slight lisp?
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Medications: none
  • Conditions: had a slight lisp before braces from under bite

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
It sounds like you are having an extreme correction done, so it may take time to adapt to your new jaw positioning. Most likely, you will over time. Worst case scenerio, you can always go for speech therapy.
Ronald F. Gravitz
1 UpVoted this answer
talking differently is very common for the first few weeks in braces. However, I would be hesitant to say that your pronunciation will definitely improve with the change of your bite, especially with a underbite. It will depend on the degree of your underbite before treatment and how the teeth will be moved to correct the underbite. It may even be worse for some time before it is better because sometimes we have to "decompensate" the underbite first by uprighting your front teeth, making the underbite seemingly worse.

However, human bodies are very adaptive. Give it enough time, you will find new ways to talk.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Yu Pan
1 UpVoted this answer
Give it time. You are not used to talking with braces. In a couple of days you will be speaking normally.
1 UpVoted this answer
An "s" lisp is usually do to the upper and lower front teeth not overlapping properly. In my experience all patients lisp slightly after braces are put on as teeth are moving. When your treatment is complete you should not lisp anymore than you did previously. It is possible that it may resolve on its own. However you may require some speech therapy to change the way you speak once the teeth are in the correct position.
Timothy Agapas
Your mouth is on the beginning of a long journey. During that time a lisp, your bite being off slightly and jaw pain are common symptoms of the movement and rearrangement of a very sensitive system. This will pass and it is too soon to be alarmedI would encourage you to ask your orthodontist any questions about your issues. They live to ease your mind and they know what's going on in your particular Tx plan. You'll be fine.
Your speech will improve in a week or two after getting your braces. What you are describing is normal in the beginning of orthodontic treatment.
It will get better. When the teeth are in a better upper to lower position, speech will improve. Your orthodontist could have told you that. Why are you asking here?
Kenneth A. Zipkin
New hardware on your teeth will always take time to adjust to, especially from the friction with your lips and cheeks against your new appliances. Since it has been only 1 day since your braces were placed it is unlikely that the teeth themselves have moved enough to cause a change in their position that could contribute to the lisp you are now noticing. There is an excellent chance that you are trying to acclimate to your braces and trying to hold your lips away from the braces due to irritation and don't even realize that you are doing this. Change in lip or tongue position can certainly impact air flow and our ability to form sounds. I suspect you will adapt and be back to normal in no time as the body is incredibly adaptive.
Sometimes with orthodontics while the teeth are re aligning you may experience speech issues. This to will pass as your teeth realign and get better positioned. This is a short term problem
James A. Vito
Practice makes perfect. Read aloud and practice all sounds. With enough practice and determination, you can eliminate a lisp. The braces on the teeth are a temporary condition, but you can teach yourself to not lisp now AND prepare for when the braces come off. Go online and Google different speech exercises. You should be able to find several exercises that address lisps, pronouncing "T's", "L's", etc. Good luck with the orthodontic treatment.