All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Temporary Crown, when do you get one, when don't you, #12

Hello,

My dentist does not seem concerned that I am stating I need a temporary crown before leaving my office for my next appointment. He doesn't typically do them (as it leaves the patient with half a tooth until the permanent crown is in). This is on my #12 tooth and I feel it is to close to the front of my mouth. Please tell me what you would do. Thanks.
Poster
  • Medications: N/A
  • Conditions: N/A

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
If you are getting a cerec crown you never need a temporary. However, if the dentist is going to prep the tooth and leave it with half a tooth; it's time to find a new dentist!
Mark F. Stabley
1 UpVoted this answer
Placing a temporary crown on a tooth after it has been prepared is the standard of care that most dentists apply, unless the permanent crown is being placed on the same day. In your case, it is even more of a concern, since it is not just functional, but cosmetic as well. I would suggest asking your dentist why he chooses not to place a temporary crown on this tooth.
1 UpVoted this answer
I cannot think of a situation that would be appropriate to leave a tooth without a temporary crown. The temporary is necessary to hold the space for the permanent crown. It is very likely that the adjacent and opposing teeth will shift without a temporary. That would make it difficult, if not impossible, to fit the permanent crown. Not to mention the esthetic issues and sensitivity if the tooth has not had a root canal. I would talk to your dentist again and insist on a temporary unless he/she has a good answer to these issues.
Temporary crowns are always placed on a tooth after it is prepared for a permanent crown. Most patients do not want to smile showing a half a tooth. A temporary crown would have made your smile look more normal.
I can say it differently but Dr Vito is 100% correct. Even a 3rd year dental student would place a temporary crown. Be advised.
Kenneth A. Zipkin
A temporary crown should be placed to protect the exposed tooth from any potential decay and sensitivity that may be experienced following this porcedure. Also this will prevent any eruption of the tooth. A temporary crown is the standard of care for a crown procedure.
James A. Vito
I would ask him his reasoning behind not placing a temporary. There are many reasons FOR a temporary and very few, if any, AGAINST placing a temporary when the permanent crown is not being placed the same day. If you don't get an answer, get a new dentist. Good luck.
Express your concerns to your dentist. Explain to them that you want a temporary crown placed at the time of the crown prep.
Randall D. Stastny
Temporary crowns are great to have because it keeps the tooth covered up for the time it takes to get your permanent one cemented. Covering up a tooth decreases the sensitivity on a prepared tooth. A temp crown will also hold the space open between the adjacent teeth so that the new crown could fit better with less adjustments.

The only time we don't worry about leaving a tooth without a temporary is when the patient can't come in and the tooth has been root canal treated. No nerve = no pain/sensitivity from being exposed.
Steven H. Kim
Only time I would not make temporary would be making a same day crown/ restorations, and it would have to be in same visit appointment.

Other than that case, patients need temporary for 1) protection 2) preventing unwanted neighbor tooth movement 3) preserving natural contour of the soft tissue
Eugene Y. Kim