All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

is tooth #4 and #5 breaking down.?

see xray, photo in previous post

should these be replaced with inlay, composite, or crown?
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer David Westerberg, DDS Dentist, Redlands
The xray clearly shows that the teeth are compromised. Unfortunately, sometimes you don't know until you begin preparing the teeth for a new restoration. You can try to do a composite filling, however a crown may be the only way to adequately restore your tooth. Your dentist would be able to help you determine the best course of action after the teeth have been excavated.
Randall D. Stastny
These filling look like they are amalgams(silver) fillings. They typically last 5-7 years. If they are older than that then you should consider replacing them. There is some shadowing which is indicative of decay but hard to tell with your X-ray. Decisions are made based upon X-rays and a clinical exam
James A. Vito
Only can tell so much from looking at an x-ray. Once the old filling and decay is removed, as well as any possible internal fractures, only then can the dentist determine the best restoration for these teeth.
All things being equal, I would do composites. It is a more conservative less expensive restoration. Crowns or inlays can be done later if necessary.
Michael Stein
The X-ray clearly shows two large silver/mercury amalgam fillings. In my experience, the majority of these do tend to break down (more than 95% chance) and merit replacing. Without looking at the clinical photos it is hard to be more specific. I would lean towards an all porcelain crown. While inlays are less invasive and preserve more tooth structure they tend not to last as long. Being as you are a young person, it is conceivable that a well-done eMax crayon could last the rest of your life where the only may last 10-20. This is conjecture based on averages I have seen in my clinical experience.
Lawrence D. Singer
Any way to see a clinical photo also? Although we can tell how DEEP the old fillings and possible decay are, we can't truly tell how large or WIDE they are from the xray alone. It depends what is seen in the mouth and if you're having symptoms or not. They both do look suspicious however. If they aren't more than 30% of the biting surface and there are no surprises we can't see here, I would imagine you could do a filling on #4, and possibly even a large filling on #5, but I get an inkling that either and inlay, onlay, or crown would be better. But again, we can't give you a proper diagnosis from this xray alone.

Regards...
Tooth #5: Onlay. Tooth #4: Composite filling.( This is without seeing the teeth visually. )

However, if there are cracks in teeth, specially vertical cracks, then crowns might be a better choice.
David Youssefi
There are many factors that determine what the correct treatment may be for these teeth. An xray is a guide but not always the answer. I do not see tremendous amounts of decay on either tooth but that doesn't mean you don't need to replace the old restorations with either newer filling materials, onlays, or crowns. An intra oral picture of these teeth would really help give you a more detailed answer.
Matthew Hyde
It is difficult to determine from a two dimensional x-ray alone whether or not crowns are indicated. The width of the fillings and the condition of the surrounding tooth structure is an important factor. If the fillings are not to big and the tooth is is good shape, you may be able to place new composite fillings and come away with a restoration that will last as long as an inlay. If the fillings are too wide and/or the tooth displays fracture that could compromise its ability to support a filling, the i would recommend going to a crown. For bicuspids, I prefer using E-max for maximum aesthetics or a conventional porcelain fused to gold (with a porcelain margin) if it can be matched well with the surrounding teeth.
Crown

Porcelain fused to

Metal or

Zirconia metal free crown

Resins composites or newest hybrid microfils

Are great if

Placed correctly and a loner or base used. However not as long lasting and would need attention again in 5-10 years

At your age you may want to focus on hygiene in 5-10 years
Daniel G. Sena