All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

is tooth #4 and #5 breaking down, see any decay?

see photo
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Scott F. Bobbitt, DMD, MAGD, DICOI Dentist, Nashua David Westerberg, DDS Dentist, Redlands
I see no problem in this photo with either tooth. Having said this, most decay is diagnosed either clinincally, that is by seeing it with the eyes, or using x-ray to see between the teeth. My guess is that these amalgam fillings are fairly old. I do not like amalgam in bicuspid teeth because of their propensity to fracture the teeth, especially the Maxillary 1st bicuspid (the lower tooth in the photo).
Robert Hawke
1 UpVoted this answer Scott F. Bobbitt, DMD, MAGD, DICOI Dentist, Nashua
They both look like they are older fillings and the margins look like they might be starting to leak. With silver fillings it is difficult to tell sometimes if there is decay under the filling and many times after removing the filling decay is found and often there is a substantial amount. Replacing the silver filling with white composite fillings would be an advantage in that the teeth would look better, be less likely to break, and any future decay would be easier to diagnose. It would also be beneficial to consider crowns or onlays which would be a stronger and longer lasting alternative to composite fillings
1 UpVoted this answer Bradford J. Lockhart, DDS Dentist, Tustin
I do see the edges lifting around the previous silver fillings and often find recurrent decay or evidence of leakage under the old alloys when I replace them. The radiographs and your dentist's clinical evaluation give necessary information. I do agree that these fillings more than likely would benefit by being updated.
Tamara L. Clauson
1 UpVoted this answer Bradford J. Lockhart, DDS Dentist, Tustin
The x-rays need to be provided for a proper diagnosis, but from the picture these silver fillings will need to be replaced sooner than later.
From a visual assessment it looks okay. When determining if a filling needs to be replaced, dentist normally determine this from looking at three things: visual assessment, radio graphic (xrays), and tactical feel. If two of three stand out, your oral health care provider makes a judgment call to replace the filling. If marginal break down is seen on the x-rays it is a good idea to have to replace the old filling. Think of it this way, if you don't replace them now, the tooth fractures in a fee years and you end up needing a root canal and crown, you will wish you would of replaced them. There is a increase in fracturing in the premolar area of tooth with an amalgam filling. For patients needing to have a filling replaced, it is better than have a crown and root canal down the road.
These appear to be older amalgam fillings. Composite or white fillings are now the replacement material of choice for old silver filling. Do not be surprised if your Dentist suggests placing crowns on these teeth.
Not enough information available in the photo. If you are an ice cruncher or like popcorn kernals or hard candy, etc. they may be at risk of fracture off a cusp (biting point).
These fillings look old but more importantly they are wide from the tongue side to the cheek side. With time the tooth commonly begins to have microfractures in the cusps leading to cusp fracture. Depending on the current condition using transillumination with a bright light a white filing could be placed or for more support a ceramic protective cusp onlay could be placed. Ask your dentist for more information.
Gordon Smith
No, I do not see decay or breakdown. Also, if xrays or a different clinical finding do not reveal tooth decay (dental caries) or some other condition requiring removal of those amalgam restorations, then they ca last another 10 or more years.
These fillings are very old and a judgment call by your trusted dentist is your best recommendation.