All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

White bump on lip

I woke up this morning with a white bump on my upper right side of my lip. It doesn't hurt much but it kinda worries me since I've never had it before. Is it serious?
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
You could be developing a cold sore. Cold sores can become increasing more painful blisters that develop as a result of viral infection by herpes simplex and are highly contagious. Blisters are usually white and filled with a fluid that resolves spontaneously or after therapy. The viral agents stay dormant in the nerves of the body and blisters usually reappear after environmental triggers. Most effective anti-viral agent that are used for the management of cold sores are Acyclovir, Famciclovir and Valacyclovir.
2 UpVoted this answer
The white bump on your lip is probably not serious and should resolve itself within a week to ten days, if it has not gone away in that time or if it is getting bigger, painful, or more irritating you should consider seeing your dentist as soon as possible. Seeing the dentist immediately would help ease your mind if you are really bothered by it.
2 UpVoted this answer
A white bump that developed overnight could be simply a pimple or a blocked saliva gland. As others have suggested, I would recommend observing for 2 weeks and have it checked out if it persists or becomes painful.
2 UpVoted this answer Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh Arlene Messer, DDS Dentist, Rochester
Monitor it for one week then call your dentist for an appointment if it has not resolved. It is important to think of what may have caused it the prior day (trauma, etc). Also, feel the consistency if it is hard or fluid filled.
Constantin Fiacos
1 UpVoted this answer Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh
Doesn't sound serious. Go see your dentist or what may be easier is take a picture of it on your cell phone and email it to your dentist.
Don Ducasse
Tevora Tevora
You could be developing a cold sore. Cold sores can become increasing more painful blisters that develop as a result of viral infection by herpes simplex and are highly contagious. Blisters are usually white and filled with a fluid that resolves spontaneously or after therapy. the viral agents stay dormant in the nerves of the body and blisters usually reappear after environmental triggers.

Most effective anti-viral agent that are used for the management of cold sores are Acyclovir, Famciclovir and Valacyclovir.
For piece of mind go see your dentist. Trying to diagnose a lesion on line without pictures or more information is not in your best interest.
James A. Vito
This is probably not serious. This can be several things. Have your dentist take a look at it and assess it to take the worry out of situation.
It most likely isn't serious. Watch it for a few days. If it doesn't resolve call and make an appointment with your dentist immediately.
Lawrence D. Singer