All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

STD infection by oral sex

I had an odd discharge and got swabbed (I'm a girl). I tested positive for chlamydia, but I want to know if could have infected a guy solely by performing fellatio? Knowing I had a weird discharge, I didn't have sex, but I did perform fellatio. Could I have infected him from my saliva? I was reading that there is chlamydia of the throat and vagina and rectum, but are they really isolated to those areas? If i have chlamydia in my vagina, is it also present in my saliva or mouth as well?
Poster
  • Female | 24 years old
  • Ethnicity: Other Asian
  • Height: 65
  • Weight: 128lbs
  • Medications: doxycycline hyclate
  • Conditions: no

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
It is not likely you have chlamydia of the throat or rectum. It is usually isolated to the place of primary infection. Unless the person who gave you the chlamydia you also performed oral sex on or received anal sex from them.

I would not be overly concerned. You especially do not need to worry about giving chlamydia to the partner you performed oral sex on recently. I assume you received treatment for the chlamydia as well. I recommend retesting in 3-4 weeks to know you are cleared.
Nancy E. Bass
1 UpVoted this answer Karen Salazar Valdes, MD OB/GYN, Miami
If you had oral sex with the partner who gave you chlamydia then you could have it in the throat as well and pass it on with oral sex. Appropriate treatment would eradicate the disease in all locations but you must have the person you had fellatio with get checked and treated if necessary.
You can not get chlamydia in the vagina from oral sex. If he had chlamydia and gave it to you after oral sex, it would be in your mouth. It did not travel from your mouth down to your vagina. Chances are, you had the infection for some time before the discharge started. Chlamydia doesn't always have symptoms, so it's likely that you had the infection for a while, but got discharge for some other reason. In any case if you have EVER had penetration with your partner, both of you should be treated for the STD.
Lorie N. Johnson
If your mouth does not have chlamydia ,then u could not pass it on. If feasible,your partner should be checked.
Victor Shabanah
In one of my former responses I mentioned that the human saliva has huge immune defense mechanisms. However, I responded to a question about kissing, not about oral sex (fellatio). You need a proper antibiotic therapy because chlamydial infection affects not only the genitals, but also the oral cavity, heart, joints, and muscles. My advice, not as a doctor, but as a woman: NEVER do fellatio again! It is too wrong. No woman or girl deserves to be humiliated that way. If due to your religious or ethical standards, you need to keep your virginity until your marriage, then the best way to do so is to abstain. No one in your age has died from abstinence. Only older woman, age 40-55 may have emotional (even psychiatric) and medical consequences from the absence of sexual life. You are 23, and you are not under that risk, yet. Regain your self-esteem and think of your future as a mother.
This can be determined

by checking.