All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

kidneys

I have stage 4 kidney failure because of high blood pressure for many years. BP is now under control. Could Acupincture help prolong dialysis?
Poster
  • Medications: Nothing for kidneys. Blood pressure meds

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Take Acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs to strengthen your kidneys. This may prolong the dialysis. Keep taking the BP medications and continue dialysis. Ask a well trained Acupuncturist which herbs would be the most effective for your kidney failure. Make sure the herbs are mild and will not put further stress on your kidneys. Also a low protien diet will put less stress on your kidneys.
Kevin L. Jones
I don't know about acupuncture. I would suggest that you meet with a dietitian to discuss a kidney friendly diet. There a things that you should avoid if you want to put off dialysis. Things like potassium and phosphates.
Poster
Veterinarians who specialize in acupuncture and Chinese herbs can tell you that they can reliably improve kidney failure in pets and prolong life. The same is true for people suffering from kidney failure. In the U.S. few patients with kidney failure are referred for acupuncture treatment, which is a shame because not only can it improve outcomes for the patient, but the improvement in quality of life is so meaningful to patients..
Yes it can. Acupuncture is very good at improving and stabilizing organ function. I'm not prepared to say that the condition can be reversed, but life can be prolonged. Because of the stage 4 renal failure I would actually be rather hesitant to simply prescribe herbs do to the risk of further damage. Any herbs used would be very gentle. I would also like to know quite a bit about the overall state of the cardio vascular system so as to formulate a proper treatment.
Richard Vigorelli
Yes, I believe acupuncture can help. Make sure you understand that this blood pressure problem has created a lot of problems over the years and it will take some effort to heal it. For years, I had patients with kidney failure ask if there was anything they could do for it. The ones who took "kidney remedies" had some results, but the ones who took a holistic approach and healed their entire body are the ones who did the best. I have known a few to get off of dialysis, but it took a complete and dedicated change in diet, lifestyle and outlook. If you're willing to do this, your rewards will be great. I am not an acupuncturist, but I was a Western Medicine instructor at an acupuncture school, so I have many acupuncturist colleagues, have learned a lot of the theories and have seen acupuncture in action. There is hope.
It's not that simple. Stage 4 kidney failure is a mountain to climb. The acupuncturist is your boots and gear. You are the hiker. Acupuncture can help.
Acupuncture as well as supporting the Kidneys with whole-food nutrition in addition to tissue extracts can help stabilize your health. Reach out to an acupuncturist or ND that uses Standard Process in their practice.
Yes, acupuncture, along with herbal remedies could improve your over-all health and so improve kidney health.
Hongyan Li
Acupuncture should help. I would suggest you check with one of the acupuncturists on this site.
Of course it can. Acupuncture is about establishing balance in our bodies. Acupuncture along with dialysis can help you feel better and help make you feel more normal.
Jim Degiuli