All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

What could this red mark be?

Went to the dentist today to ask a question. She quickly examined my mouth and noticed this red mark where my wisdom tooth used to be. She poked at it and asked it it hurt. I said no. What could this be? Could it be an infection from the nearby tooth? Also two days ago I did have RCT on the tooth above that. Could some of the material from the RCT or the stress of the RCT cause that?
Poster
  • 30 years old
  • Complaint duration: 1 day
  • Medications: hydrocortisone suppositories
  • Conditions: colonoscopy 2 years ago

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer David J. Darab, DDS, MS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Hickory
This could be a bone spicule coming through the soft tissue if wisdom tooth extraction was recent, or possible trauma from rubber dam clamp when root canal done on opposing tooth. Have dentist evaluate in 2 weeks again if lesion persists.
I believe it is related to the recent root canal therapy you had this week. It is not painful, so watch the area for 7 days and it should disappear.
This could be a small shard of bone working its way out following the extraction of your wisdom tooth if done recently. If done a while ago then this could be the underlying bone topography and the gum tissue is being stretched in this area over a edge of bone. If you have concerns go see the oral surgeon who took the tooth out.
James A. Vito
This could be a small tooth root pushing through the soft tissue of the gum. Some times the root is too close to the nerve when extracting wisdom teeth. So we leave it there until it pushes itself through. It could be that after the RCT temporary filling is now hitting that area when you close. Have a dentist exam this area in about two weeks after using warm salt rinses during that time. If it goes away it could just have been the gum tissue was inflamed in the area.
Most likely trauma. Have the dentist check it in two weeks if it is still there.
I would say it's probably trauma due to the recent dental work. Wait 10 days and if it does not go away then it warrants more detailed examination.
Most likely trauma from the clamp used for the root canal on the upper tooth. Monitor it and if it gets larger, begins to hurt or begins to drain I would see my dentist immediately.
Timothy Agapas
Very possible it is related to dental work you just had, one problem, red marks caused by trauma most often hurt. These marks should look like they are healing and going away in a few days to weeks if not we are concerned with something growing where it should not be. Like the dentist most likely told you if they persist they should be biopsied.(looked under microscope)
This may be trauma from the root canal clamp, eating hard foods and should heal quickly, in a few days. If it does not heal in 2 weeks or gets worse you should see your dentist again to have it reevaluated.
At first glance it looks like a simple cut or scrape from trauma. But it is impossible to know for sure without a biopsy. Since a biopsy is a bit invasive, it is advise to keep an eye on the red spot for 10 days. If it goes away, it was a traumatic injury of some kind. If it stays the same it could be anything from a bone spur to a draining fistula and your dentist will be able to tell you which. If it gets larger, than have your dentist remove it and have it examined at a pathology lab. Pathology labs are able to tell you exactly what the lesion is.