All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

What can I do for my tooth abscess pain?

I have half of my front tooth that chipped off and was replaced years ago. Last year my dentist did warn that it would need to be replaced soon but I waited as I'm an international student without insurance. The pain is excruciating what can I do to help besides taking an arthritis pain reliever for the high dosage of acetaminophen. Also is there any cheaper and less painful remedy besides a root canal?
Poster
  • Female | 22 years old
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Medications: none
  • Conditions: n/a

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
If you want to save the tooth, the infection has to be treated by doing a root canal treatment. It is NOT painful and will give you permanent relief from the pain. The only other choice is to extract the tooth. Any medication you take instead of the proper treatment, will just control the pain temporarily and the condition will get progressively worse.
Jose M. Goldberg
Your best treatment would be to have the root canal and it is not a procedure that will cause you pain. Key is to address the abscessed tooth first. You should be treated with an antibiotic to clear up any swelling or infection in the area, Also, the dentist or endodontist may change the arthritis pain reliever to something stronger in order to keep you more comfortable. If you start having headaches or experience facial pain you may need to go to urgent care then follow up with a dental professional.

David Westerberg
Your best treatment would be to have the root canal and it is not a procedure that will cause you pain. Key is to address the abscessed tooth first. You should be treated with an antibiotic to clear up any swelling or infection in the area, Also, the dentist or endodontist may change the arthritis pain reliever to something stronger in order to keep you more comfortable. If you start having headaches or experience facial pain you may need to go to urgent care then follow up with a dental professional.
Unfortunately it sounds like you need a root canal. You may trying to find a dental school where it could be done for less $$$$ than an endodontist or dentist. Otherwise you may consider extraction. Either way you need to make a decision because inaction will jeopardize the adjacent teeth and th emedications you are taking may cause GI problems for you
James A. Vito
The tooth could be opened, and medicated buying you some time but it will need root canal therapy or be extracted.
If the cost of a root canal is too much you could consider having your dentist remove the infection from the tooth by a procedure which opens up the tooth and removes the nerve or what is left of it. The dentist could disinfect the tooth and place a filling in the tooth which should relieve the pain. Eventually you will need the root canal but if you are looking to buy some time and get out of pain this would be your best alternative. You would also want to make sure you always have a refill of the antibiotic your dentist prescribed so when the tooth starts to hurt again you will be able to relieve the pain until you can see your dentist.

Eventually you are going to have to deal with the tooth permanently and there will be no way you can do that without spending money, so find out what the costs are going to be and start saving.
It appears you have a tooth which needs immediate endodontic (root canal) therapy. Re-evaluate whether you want to keep this tooth. This is a life-time decision and it is far easier and much less expensive to treat it than replace it. One should always avoid losing a tooth if at all possible. See your dentist asap.
William E. Bussey
The cheapest remedy would be to have it extracted. I assume that's not an option unless you haven't any vanity. If the tooth can be restored than you need a root canal. The best treatment would be an implant but that may be a little pricey for you.
It sounds like you need root canal therapy on the tooth. I would start with antibiotics to take care of the infection, which is causing the pain. Then have the root canal performed. I know it is not cheap, however, it will be money well spent.
Dental pain can be very difficult to manage without treatment. First and foremost - see a dentist for an x-ray and a diagnosis. If a root canal is necessary - do it ASAP. The pain will be very difficult to manage without treatment. You can always take Advil or Tylenol and see if that helps. Good Luck
James P. Tasto