All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

ball behind big toe

My joint on foot behind my big toe keeps swelling up gets red tender and is getting worse. I tried cortisone shot pills anti flamatory ones had x ray nothing broke. What could it be?
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 8 days
  • Medications: Cortisone and predisone
  • Conditions: Checked for gout not it

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Did the xray you had taken show any abnormal bone growth or arthritis around the joint? There is a problem that is common called "Hallux Rigidus," which is an arthritic and often painful condition of the first metatarsophalangeal joint (the joint behind the big toe). If not, did your physician consider gout? Gout is often a recurrent and painful condition that causes swelling at that joint, as well. You should probably seek a second opinion if the doctor you are seeing does not seem to be getting to the correct diagnosis.
is it Hallux Limitus?
Like previous comments i believe micro trauma to the joint which would also include limitation of joint motion to to jamming if the metatarsal bone is too long which may require a surgical approach before the joint gets too damaged, however if it is gout or gouty arthritis it needs to be aspirated with a needle to evaluate the joint fluid this can not only diagnose gout but other causes of arthritis in the joint which can then be controlled with medications or even just a diet change. Call your local Podiatrist.
Flavio Cordano
The other responses have covered most of the reasons for your painful problem. I agree that gout can really only be excluded by taking fluid from the joint to determine if there are urate crystals in the joint. There is another similar problem called pseudo gout which would not be noted in the "typical" blood test for "gout" since it is not from uric acid. You can start with your primary care physician or discuss this with your podiatrist who may suggest a rheumatology consultation. Follow up on this as there are several reasons for this problem some are best treated ASAP for your relief and to prevent further joint problems.
Gary S. Scheinin
Gout?
Rex E. Thornhill
- Gout has been ruled out.

- If you have diabetes, a numb big toe could cause an inflammation in a long run because the microtraumatisms occuring over time are not noticed (because of numbness) till they become significant.

- If your footwear is too tight because of fashion or otherwise, you'd want to modify it.
John Kouame
Could be gout or arthritis or a few other things. You need to be evaluated by a Traditional Naturopath to determine what the inbalance is and go from there. Good luck...
You need to have a blood test to rule out gout, rheumatoid arthritis, or other medical conditions. Your primary care physician can arrange that. Treatment would then be predicated on these results. Good luck!!!
I thought about Gout when I first red this; however, it usually prefers one foot and you did not specify which big toe. You also stated that you have been checked for Gout and that's not it. I am curious as to why your doctor had not suggested a rheumatologist to have it checked out. Is there any kind of fluid build up when it swells up? like there would be with a blister? It's always possible that you have a crystal buildup, but I'd be guessing here. In the meantime, watch your diet. If you will eliminate all meat from your diet and follow a vegetarian type diet for a week, see if it improves. If it does, then you have Gout. If it does not, then make the appointment for a Rheumatologist. Those can be very painful, so I hate to see you suffering so long. If it turns out that you do indeed have Gout, you will not have to follow a vegetarian type diet forever, only for as long as the gout is persistent. Good luck.
more than likely it is a simple case of gout, in which case changes to your diet, and some medication prescribed by your physician or podiatric physician should do the trick. However, it could also be a host of other issues ranging from infection to circulation problems, to simple arthritis. My recommendation is to find a local podiatrist to help they can get all the blood work, vascular work up, xrays, etc. in a one stop fashion. best of luck and feel better.
Alex Kheynson