All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Wisdom teeth

How long should I wait after 4 wisdom teeth being extracted to start dipping smokeless tobacco again??
Poster
  • Male | 18 years old
  • Complaint duration: 6 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

31 UpVoted this answer Dr. Ada Gruita, DDS Dentist, Mission Viejo Michael C. Bell, DDS Dentist, Austin Anthony Edward Marra, DDS, PLLC Dentist, Huntersville
Ahhh...As a dentist with numerous friends that dip, I might be able to help you out here. The action of spitting can dislodge your clots and lead to dry sockets, which basically means you'll have air directly on bone causing incredible pain with each breath you take. So to be safe, I would suggest until after your post operative visit or 2 weeks. Now, at 18 years old, legally you can dip but you're playing a dangerous game. I know people that go through a tin a day and have done so for 30 years without issue...yet. I do know that some day, cancer will unfortunately effect them in some way due to the length and amount of time spent dipping. This sounds cruel, but if someone needs a radical jaw/tongue resection, they are honestly better off dying. The inability to eat and disfigurement of the surgery is a terrible price to pay for a "habit". Take this 2 week opportunity to quit, and if you really want to dip, allow yourself until you're say, 60 years old. The odds are dipping will not kill you the last 15 -20 years of life, but over a 50+ year period its a game of chance, and yours aren't good.
David M. Konys
10 UpVoted this answer
There are many and well documented studies that show the harmful effects of dip and the increase risk of cancers associated with the habit. That being said you need to wait at least for the extraction sites to heal and the gum tissue to begin healing over the site to prevent any irritation. This usually takes 6-8 weeks.
James A. Vito
5 UpVoted this answer
Forever. If you can stop for this amount of time you could probably quit. I'm just saying...:)
4 UpVoted this answer
Try and quit!!!! Use this time to motivate you to try and give it up. Ask your primary care doc to maybe give you some med to try and help curb your cravings. But, if you just cannot quit then watch out for getting 'dip' caught in your lower wisdom tooth sockets.
Chad R. Seabold
4 UpVoted this answer
The rest of your life. Do not start again unless you want mouth cancer.
3 UpVoted this answer
Your question is obviously an attempt to get a rise out of dentists, so kudos to you for succeeding. Dentist can not recommend tobacco of any kind due to the health risks associated with its use. From a clinical standpoint, as soon as the extraction sites are closed, you could begin this habit again, but your risks are elevated during the healing process as the tissue is new and very susceptible to carcinogens and other pathogens. Check this out during your healing period:

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/

Good luck.
3 UpVoted this answer
Smokeless tobacco is also a carcinogen, meaning you can get cancer from it. As a member of the Oral Cancer Foundation, I hereby urge you to discontinue the habit today (beginning of Oral Cancer month).
J. Abe  Smith
3 UpVoted this answer
You need to be careful at least in the first two weeks after the extractions.The blood clot may get dislodged exposing the bone a condition called dry socket;which can be more painful than toothache.As you are restrained from dipping tobacco this might be good time to drop the habit altogether.The risk of oral cancer in the long term may be a real concern.
Vinay Jerath
3 UpVoted this answer
Chewing tobacco still contains many of the harmful chemicals that can break down the clot that forms after the extraction. The spitting action that is required during the use of chewing tobacco can also dislodge the clot. We always tell our patients to avoid smoking, spitting, straws and soda after an extraction. To directly answer your question, I would recommend to wait at least one week before resuming the use of chewing tobacco.
Justin Dugas
2 UpVoted this answer
Well, by this time you already know what to do, I just also want to add something to the mix, just remember when you first start to smoke or chew; it didn't taste or feel good you have to work at it to get to where you are addicted to it; so undo it, it will take some time but worth it.
Michael Huynh