All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

substance under skin

I have a small hard ball -like substance under my skin of my clitorious. What could it be?
Poster
  • 23 years old
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer David Otto, DC, DACBN Chiropractic, Orange Park
Dear Substance,

Based on your description, I can think of a few possible causes:

1. An ingrown hair can give rise to swelling of this kind by creating a small infection at the follicle.

2. The Bartholin gland can also become infected but usually on either side of vaginal opening.

3. A sebaceous cyst can form, which can be painful and hard.

The following measures may help to alleviate the protuberance

1. If you shave the area, always perform in the direction of hair growth.

2. A hot moist compresses can allow an infection or cyst to open and drain

2. You can apply an over the counter hydrocortisone cream locally

3. Avoid waxing in that area.

5. Avoid tight fitting underwear and garments.

If this doesn't subside or becomes worse in any way, I encourage you to consult with your gynecologist (OB/GYN) for a physical examination. Prescription medications or therapeutic procedures such as lancing and/or draining may be needed for the best resolution. Good luck.
1 UpVoted this answer Helard Ballon Hennings, MD OB/GYN, Three Rivers
I agree with most go the responses:

1. It is most likely a sebaceous ( oily) cyst.

2. Definitely NOT ingrown hair

3. Definitely NOT Bartholins's.

We have hundreds of glands in our vulvar area ( private parts). We have oil glands, sweat glands, hair follicles, mucous glands. These glands can get stopped up and the fluid within them cannot come out and it stays in the gland and expands and becomes a cyst. Cysts are firm and sometimes painful and can be the size of a whitehead or up to a golf all size depending on the size and location of the cyst forming gland. The temptation is to do " bathroom surgery " and pop the cyst. This can cause infection, pain and bleeding.

The best initial treatment is a hot compressed which usually works to open up the stopped up gland duct and allow the cyst to drain.

If this does not work and the cyst grows or becomes more painful you need to seek medical advice for further evaluation and/ or treatment.

Hope this helps.

Be well,

Dr. Lara
Celebrating Women Center
1 UpVoted this answer
This is not an ingrown hair. There are no hair follicles in the labia minor nor clitoris. The Bartholin glands are not near the clitoris. This may be a cyst but usually a cyst is not hard. This may be a hematoma. With too vigorous manual stimulation or cunnulingus, you can cause bleeding with a subsequent hematoma or infection. A good rule is: be gentle with the clitoris.
Norm Dahm
If this is truly under the clitoris and not adjacent to the urethra where a skene's gland would be, then I would be most concerned about the possibility of a periclitoral abscess. I definitely recommend evaluation by a gynecologist.
Jack Tubbs
Probable Bartholin cyst but not infected. should see a gynecologist.
Victor Shabanah
I believe I would need more information as to the exact location of this hard "ball". You do not mention any symptoms or discomfort. Need to know how long since this appeared. Also helpful if we knew if this was on the "hood" of the clitoris or the underside if the clitoris itself. It is unlikely that it would be in-grown hair...even if you do shave so close in that area. It would also be helpful if we knew if this "ball " is mobile and approximately how big it is.

.Was this associated with recent oral sex (cunnilingus)...or any type of coitus (sexual intercourse) that may have accidently caused some trauma to this sensitive organ or the area immediately around .

If you have no symptoms other than the presence of this "ball" and it has not grown in size...then more than likely it could represent an inclusion "body" which may have resulted from too active sexual activity and left an area that when healing left this "ball" you mention.

If warm compresses do not seem to help it may be advisable to have your gynecologist have look and put your mind at ease.
Joseph A. Pineda
plz send more details like the color or of it hurts or burns etc
DR. ZAAR
Most likely this is a sebaceous cyst, like a pimple. Warm compresses may help it to drain. If it persists, let your doctor know so they can examine it. Occasionally they can be drained in the office.
This is usually a cyst. Your physician can verify this and determine how to treat it.