All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Period or implantation bleeding?

Hello,

I recently had unprotected sex on the 6th day of my period (February 1st) and took Aftera emergency contraception 48 hours later. He only had precum. About a week after taking the emergency contraceptive I past blood and clots for five days. I have not had period since and I'm worried because for the past three days I've had menstrual like cramps, the slightest bit of nausea and breast cramps but no tenderness. Could it be just the EC? Or could I be pregnant?
Poster
  • Female | 19 years old
  • Complaint duration: 30 days
  • Medications: Aftera emergency contraceptive
  • Conditions: None

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Dear Period,

It is very unlikely that you would conceive while on the last part of your cycle as the egg does not release from the ovary until the middle of the cycle (ovulation), and generally sperm only live a few days in the vaginal canal post intercourse. Especially since you have taken the emergency contraception whithin the recommended 72 hour time frame.

The Aftera you utilized contains levonorgestrel, a hormone that has been used in many birth control pills for several decades, but it is in a higher dose with Aftera. . It works mainly by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It is possible that Aftera may preventing fertilization of an egg (the uniting of sperm with the egg) or by preventing attachment (implantation) to the uterus.Your symptoms are most likely the result of utilizing the emergency contraceptive.

Common side effects/symptoms are: menstrual changes, nausea, lower stomach (abdominal) pain, tiredness, headache, dizziness, breast pain, vomiting

Bottom line here is that you should monitor your symptoms over the next few days. If they get worse at all, especially if you have severe abdominal pain (sign of ectopic pregnancy) get an appointment with your OB/GYN for an exam. Otherwise, you can purchase and take a simple home pregnancy test. These tests are inexpensive and highly accurate when taken correctly.

Best of luck to you.
1 UpVoted this answer
It is less likely that you are pregnant; however, this possibility needs to be eliminated. I recommend taking a home urine pregnancy test. If the test is negative, you are most likely to be premenstrual.
Douglas Austin
u r not pregnant. ...its the ec aftermath. ..
DR. ZAAR
AS a Gynecologist based on your menstrual history in your query....if in fact you were on your 6th day of your menstrual cycle, counting the first day of flow as your "day 1", and your cycles are regular for the past 3-4 months, then most probably you are not pregnant. The effects of the "AFTERA" which is a hormonal medication is the most probable the reason for your symptoms. I sincerely doubt you could have conceived on the 6th day of your cycle.
Joseph A. Pineda
Hi. Usually one week after the EC you get your period, which you did. This threw off your cycle and you could be experiencing cramps a few other period symptoms. It is less likely that you are pregnant but to be 100 % sure I would recommend getting a Pregnancy blood test with your doctor.
You should take a home pregnancy test. Wouldn't hurt to verify with your MD as well. In the future, It would be prudent to take better precautions with your sexual activities.

I wish you well.

www.discoverhealth.us