All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Bridge

I have a tooth that I had a root canal on back in the 80's. I have always had problems with this tooth after the root canal. I have had two apicoectomies. I went to the dentist today and was told that the root is broken and trying to safe the tooth is useless. My dentist suggested either a single tooth implant or a three tooth bridge. My question, is it possible to get a 2 tooth bridge? I don't want to crown 2 good teeth if I can get away with just one.
Poster
  • Female | 50 years old
  • Medications: none

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Abraham M. Speiser, DDS Dentist, Newark
The best solution to a one tooth problem is a one tooth solution--extract the tooth with a broken root and replace it with a the single implant with an abutment supported crown. I am assuming the non-restorable tooth is a molar--it may be possible to replace the extracted tooth with a monodont (http://www.dentalartslab.com/products-services/ceramics/dal-monodont%C2%AE-bridge/). Another option may to do a two unit bridge and have a rest on the premolar instead of preparing it for full coverage. And never forget that having the tooth extracted and doing nothing for a while is also an option. Best to ask your dentist what is possible and discuss all the options and their costs. Hope this helps
Joseph A. Wineman
1 UpVoted this answer
You are on the right track! It is best to replace your lost tooth with a dental implant, as long as there is adequate bone; versus treating the two adjacent teeth to make a bridge. Teeth with previous apicoectomies have had bone removed, bone grafting at the time of extraction would be advisable to help maximally regenerate the necessary bone for implant success.
1 UpVoted this answer
It depends on which tooth you are replacing. In the posterior (back of your mouth) a two unit bridge would not be a good idea. There is a lot of stress or pressure placed on teeth while chewing especially in the posterior. In the anterior (front of your mouth) the stresses are not as great and a two tooth bridge can be sucessfull. However, with an implant you do not have to crown the teeth around the missing tooth. So, in the front it is sometimes possible to do a two tooth bridge, while in back it won't hold up and an implant is usually the best option. I think your dentist gave you good options.
Michael Stein
1 UpVoted this answer
A "bridge" is a tooth replacement option that uses the adjacent teeth as anchors to support the missing tooth. In the anterior region it is sometimes possible to use one tooth to support the missing tooth. But in most cases, two adjacent teeth (one on each side of the missing tooth) are required to provide sufficient support to replace the missing tooth. This is why a dental implant is usually the best option to replace a tooth that has been extracted.
David F. Levine
A two tooth bridge usually does not work long term and eventually fails which will result in two missing teeth. If you have concerns over crowning a perfectly good tooth hen you should consider a dental implant.
James A. Vito
Dear Patient,

You have many options available to you. You and your dentist can discuss the options and find out what option is best for you. Long term success would be having a multiple tooth single implant ( this is if your bite can handle this). One implant with two pontic (fake) teeth, then crown the old abutment with a single crown.

A flipper partial is another option available if financially the implants are too expensive. This could be a good option until a better long term treatment option can be decided upon. Giving the bone and tissue time to heal and removing the source of the problem (the fractured tooth). If an abscess in present on the fractured tooth, increased bone loss (caused by the infection) can make for questionable implant site. So getting that tooth out needs to be the top priority.
A 2 tooth bridge would be different to clean and bone loss would continue where the tooth is missing. an implant is the best long term option. the implant does more than just replace the one tooth. it also supports the surrounding teeth by maintaining bone support.
While it may be possible to get away with a two unit bridge, it may not be the best option. I am assuming your adjacent teeth are virgin teeth--no history of dental fillings. If that is the case, I would encourage considering a single unit implant to avoid irreversibly cutting away virgin and healthy teeth especially if you are a good candidate for an implant. Otherwise a three unit bridge is still another very good option to consider. Be sure to discuss your needs, wants, and perhaps limitations to help you decide. Best of luck!
You are right to be concerned about not wanting to crown 2 healthy teeth to replace a missing tooth. I recommend an implant because it does not affect the healthy teeth surrounding it. Implants are also easier to keep clean then a bridge. A 2 unit bridge is possible but not recommended because it causes additional stress on the supporting tooth. Good luck
It is possible to have a bridge for just 2 teeth but it is generally not recommended due to increase stresses and forces on the single tooth used as the connector for the bridge. I generally recommend agains bridges as its very difficult to properly care for. An implant will be your best option. Best of luck