All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

severe pain and swelling

I have severe pain and swelling where my wisdom tooth is coming in. I can't even open my mouth. Should I go to the emergency room?
Poster
  • Female | 24 years old
  • Complaint duration: 1 day
  • Medications: Ibuprofen aleve Tylenol
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

14 UpVoted this answer
If your swelling is severe also , extends to your face and you can't open your mouth chances are you have an infection that is pretty severe and needs immediate attention. In that case, you should go directly to the nearest emergency room because this could be potentially life threatening!

If the swelling is only around the gum behind the tooth warm salt water rinses, pain medication and seeing a dentist right away to start antibiotics is recommended. In any event it sounds like you have an infection of a wisdom tooth that is having a hard time coming in or 'impacted'.

Hope you better soon.
Evelyn Campbell-Leach
10 UpVoted this answer
Absolutely you should contact your dentist ASAP and if no quick response call an oral surgeon. Many ER's do not have any dental care and would simply put you on an antibiotic. Please do not hesitate as it may quickly become very serious. If you cannot reach anyone than find a Medical Center that would Oral Surgeons on call. Get well but don't delay, could become very serious.
9 UpVoted this answer Dr. Ada Gruita, DDS Dentist, Mission Viejo
Absolutely. Do not delay as an infection in this area can lead to a severe head and neck infection and threaten your airway. This is the reason I recommend that all people have their wisdom teeth removed prior to complications like this and before they develop into full blown teeth with embedded roots, making removal that much harder.
7 UpVoted this answer
Yes, most likely your wisdom tooth has a severe infection and will need to be removed. Good luck.
7 UpVoted this answer
Swelling in the head and neck region can impede your ability to breathe, thus causing death! I would recommend visiting the ER.
7 UpVoted this answer
If this is rapidly progressing and you have no availability to see your General Dentist or Oral Surgeon immediately, then yes go an Urgent Care of Emergency Room. If you have any breathing difficulty, swallowing problems or changes in your voice, then go right then or call 911. Infections in this area can compromise the airway. However, most of the time, with antibiotics, this can be relieved and the third molars (wisdom teeth) can then be removed.
4 UpVoted this answer
See a health care professional who can give you antibiotics ASAP, and treat the pain. Then set an appointment to see your dentist to diagnose the problem. I treat wisdom teeth in my practice but if your Doctor doesn't , he may send you to an OS to be examined again to rectify the problem.
3 UpVoted this answer
I would call an oral surgeon immediately as it appears you have an infection and not enough room for full eruption of this tooth. 82% of wisdom teeth should be removed for one reason or another. The fact that you are above 21 and the tooth is only partially erupted indicates that you are probably within that 82% group. I would ask the oral surgeon to look at the possibility of there being three more wisdom teeth in there and take care of all of them at once.
William E. Bussey
3 UpVoted this answer
Your condition is most likely pericornitis. Sometimes this occurs as the tooth is erupting and can be treated with antibiotics. However, most of the time the best course of action is to remove the tooth due to lack of space and or proper hygiene. Your dentist can determine which is best for you. There is no one right answer for everyone.
2 UpVoted this answer
You should contact your regular Dentist if you have one ASAP.If an appointment with the Dentist is unavailable go to the E.R where you may be prescribed antibiotics to control infection.Once the infection is contained your symptoms should improve in few days.Also keep taking ibuprofen for pain control and to bring down the swelling,
Vinay Jerath